anyone own a Campion Explorer 542 with a 115 hp

explorer 542

Seaman Apprentice
This boat is new to me it is a 2005 Campion Explorer 542 very nice boat very well laid out just what I was looking for in a boat but man is it gutless out of the hole. I think that a 115 hp might just be to small of a engine and it needs a 150 hp just wondering if anyone out there is having the same problem as me.

Lynnard

Recruit
Re: anyone own a Campion Explorer 542 with a 115 hp

This boat is new to me it is a 2005 Campion Explorer 542 very nice boat very well laid out just what I was looking for in a boat but man is it gutless out of the hole. I think that a 115 hp might just be to small of a engine and it needs a 150 hp just wondering if anyone out there is having the same problem as me.

I have a 2008 Campion 542 which is the newer design. But both boats are similar is size and weight. It has a 150 HP Suzuki 4 stroke. I absolutely love the boat and motor combination. With the 150 it easily handles a full load of fuel, gear and people with no problem, and reaches nearly 50 MPH. My guess is that with a 115 it would be OK with only 2 people and a light load, but would struggle to get up on plane with a full load of fuel, gear and people.
Lynn

explorer 542

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2008 Campion 542 which is the newer design. But both boats are similar is size and weight. It has a 150 HP Suzuki 4 stroke. I absolutely love the boat and motor combination. With the 150 it easily handles a full load of fuel, gear and people with no problem, and reaches nearly 50 MPH. My guess is that with a 115 it would be OK with only 2 people and a light load, but would struggle to get up on plane with a full load of fuel, gear and people.
Lynn
I love the boat like you I think it is a great fishing or family fun boat but boy is it a dog with any amount of load in it. I took it out with a 11 pitch prop that was lent to me this evening and it revved like crazy but wouldn't even think about getting to a plan. Starting to think I might not be running on all cylinders cause I just can't see Campion selling someone a beautiful boat like this with a 115 hp on it and knowing that with 4 people and some gear you won't be getting it to a plan.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

An 11" prop is obviously way too small. What is the pitch of your original prop and what RPM were you getting at WOT?

explorer 542

Seaman Apprentice

using a 15 pitch prop was trying to get a 13 or 14 but prop guy didn't have one just gave me the 11 to try out. The only thing that is making me think engine problem is at the start of the summer I think I was getting 5400-5500 WOT rpm and now I am only getting 5000-5100 rpm with same prop. The boat was never very fast at getting itself out of the lake but this is getting ridiculousness if you have three people and a very small amount of gear on board you are like ok we are going to take off everyone to the middle of the boat and lean forward and it still seems to take 20 seconds to plan.

Resinrider

Recruit

I have a 542 with a 115 Yamaha four stroke. The prop is a 13 1/4" x 17 - K . Not sure what the K stands for , but the boat gets up on plane no problem and tops out at 40 mph with a few people.

explorer 542

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 542 with a 115 Yamaha four stroke. The prop is a 13 1/4" x 17 - K . Not sure what the K stands for , but the boat gets up on plane no problem and tops out at 40 mph with a few people.
Perfect thank you I am running a 15 pitch prop and the boat is a dog at take off I don't know if the Mercury 4 stroke runs the same as a Yamaha but they should be close. The 15 pitch would only get me 37 mph and very slow to plan but I will get the engine completely checked over and look to get a similar pitch prop cause mine is beat up and hope for the best. I think my engine has a miss or something maybe a injector isn't right but I was starting to think that a 115hp just wasn't enough engine for the Explorer

explorer 542

Seaman Apprentice

prop was new at the start of the season might have been a little better in performance but still a dog to plan I do think that a 115hp is underpowered for a 542 Explorer and a 150hp would be perfect but like I said will tune engine up to make sure it is running in peak form get a 13-14 pitch prop and hope it preforms better.