Crestliner Superhawk v. Ranger Reata

Jayhawk93

Recruit
I am new to the forum; I am looking seriously at new boats. I am leaning towards a 2014 Crestliner Superhawk with Merc 150 4 stroke, set up for both fishing and family (bow cushions, jump seats, etc). I have also recently come across a 2012 Reata (still new at dealer) with a 150 Opti. They are going to be roughly the same price.

The Crestliner says it will seat 8. The Ranger is less, but the boat appears to be loaded and a wider beam, though less depth in the bow. Does anybody have any experience with these specific boats or thoughts on them? Any constructive/relevant thoughts/opinions would be appreciated!

I currently have a Monark King 170 Deep V and I have always liked the deeper boats.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Crestliner Superhawk v. Ranger Reata

Do you have 8 on the boat? A wide beam adds to stability. Where do you boat? How far offshore? Merc 4 stroke before the Opti... many things to consider. Crestliner, makes a great tin boat.. 2nd only to Lund.

Jayhawk93

Recruit

Do you have 8 on the boat? A wide beam adds to stability. Where do you boat? How far offshore? Merc 4 stroke before the Opti... many things to consider. Crestliner, makes a great tin boat.. 2nd only to Lund.

Yes, there is 6 in my family and it is not uncommon for others to tag along. Even with just the 6 of us it can get a little cramped with a couple of coolers, etc in our current boat. Most boating is done in the midwest (Kansas/Missouri); lakes are not huge, but wind can be a factor. I also take annual trips to Canada to fish. Summary of what I have read/heard about the motors: fuel is a push, Opti has a better hole shot, but is louder and you have to deal with oil (ugh).

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Dealing with oil is just simply fill the oil tank. However, .......... what size boats are you looking at. A 150 may not be enough power for the amount of people you are talking about. Many dealers make things sound tempting but put marginal power on the transom. Do not get a 150 on a boat if the boat is rated for over 200 hp...... you will be adequate but at the low end of the power curve.

Boat vs Boat they are both excellent.

Jayhawk93

Recruit

It is the Superhawk 1850. It is rated up to a 200HP, though I was looking at the 150. Not sure what the price difference is though.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer

Jay I do not have experience with either boat but know some that a similar. For what you will be loading I would say to go up one more engine size and since boats boats are good. I would ask to test drive both or even load the boat with about what you would normally have and see how you like each.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Friend of mine has an older Reata w/225 Merc, 20'.

Let's just say it has a better ride on the water, much better.
It's a heavier boat that cushions all the waves.
It runs in mid to high 50's and was comfortable with 5 or 6 aboard.
For fishing, like most boats, more than 3 people and it gets crowded.

The Ranger 1850LS is pretty much a Reata, without the name, and has seating for 8.

The Reata will sit a bit lower at rest, less freeboard.

THe Crestliner will be lighter, sit higher, might fair better on the rocks in Canada.