kicker motor installation - Alumaweld 17 Stryker

ydrah

Recruit
I have recently purchased a 17 foot Alumaweld Stryker with 50HP Honda and would like to add an 8hp Honda kicker. The transom doesnt have room for regular mounting a kicker. What are my choices for installing the kicker on the transom? What bracket, etc.

Thanks

Ken Hardy

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: kicker motor installation - Alumaweld 17 Stryker

do you already own the 8? If not, think about whether you really need a kicker at all or one that big. 17 is small for an extra outboard and lots of people troll with 50's.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking 8hp is too big and honestly I would STRONGLY consider an electric trolling motor.... I put a honda 90 on my old man't 18'5 alum tracker and his electric can go faster than it idles with the 90 and he can run the electric all long on two batts and still have lots of charge left.

If you don't want to mount a trolling on the bow or really want to steer from the steering wheel you might consider a trolling motor that mounts on the lower unit of the main engine.

airshot

Rear Admiral

A number of manufacturers make brackets that attatch to your transom to raise and lower a kicker motor but I have to agree with the others an 8 is kind of big for that size boat. I have a 9.9 0n my 22' and that is way more than enough, a good electric with dual batteries that can be placed forward for better weight control might be a better idea.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It really matters how you are using the boat.
8hp is the minimum I would use, where I boat.
It will get you home from the wilderness, and it is strong enough to fight a brisk wind and maintain control if you are back trolling, or have to get off the rocks in a hurry.

Of course, it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
Do you want remote operation, remote throttle, or power tilt?

There are options for all.

Perhaps contact Alumaweld, as they will likely have a few suggestions for you.

Panther Marine Tech Products, Inc - Panther Home makes some nice products.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Amazing how many opinions we have without really knowing what year/type of motor the OP has. If the 50hp is a slightly older 2-stroke he may not want to load it up trolling all day. A newer 4 stroke may troll down slow enough and be just fine, but others may not.

I would want a 9.9 or a 15 if I was adding. Where I troll it can get pretty nasty and the extra power is nice. Winnebago is like 140,000 acres and can be rough and Lake Michigan is.....well its Lake Michigan.

I don't have a kicker on my new boat, but most that I have trolled with have utilized a decent kicker.

I have an engine mount MinnKota, but I haven't used it in real rough water yet. In normal chop I have been able to get 2.5-3.5 mph.
1069199_10101319256785888_598126862_n_zpsfc338f84.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

It's a Honda 50... 4 stroke

Last edited:

Pony

Rear Admiral

It's a Honda 50... 4 stroke

touche....didn't realize they only made 4 strokers.

Much less of a need for a kicker in that case then I suppose....although they are nice to have if the main outboard takes a crap

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

A little more info may help, there are many different brackets and it depends on how often you plan to use it, and how you use it.

An 8 HP Honda will work fine on that boat.