18' ranger 200hp, Dual vs. Single steering cable question

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever used a single steering cable on a boat that will do 70mph. Im set up for dual, but im wondering if anyone has used a single cable on a fast boat and what problems they might of had. I know its not recommended. Has anyone had hard steering, chain walk/control problems? Thx for any thoughts.

Re: 18' ranger 200hp, Dual vs. Single steering cable question

I wouldn't even consider a single cable setup on that boat. No, I've never experienced chine walk 'cause I have a properly adjusted dual cable system.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have a single cable for 520 hp dual engines with no issues.... If My cable fails I'll be doing no more than 48 mph.... I could still be in pretty bad shape quick... If yours fails at 70 you could be in bad shape really fast too even if you were just cruising easy (relative to your top speed) and topped out, you'd stand a fair chance of being found after spring thaw.

Personally I can't figure out why you asked this question... you already have dual and the only info we have is that it's a 70 mph boat.... why the heck would you want to downgrade to a lesser system when you already "know it isn't recommended"?

danamul1977

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive been told I shouldn't have a problem, so I wanted to see if anyone has had this setup on there boat. Really just want to hear from someone who has used a single for speeds over 55.

... If yours fails at 70 you could be in bad shape really fast too even if you were just cruising easy (relative to your top speed) and topped out, you'd stand a fair chance of being found after spring thaw.

I'll throw in that the main purpose of dual cable setups is to reduce slop/play at the engine, thereby eliminating that as a contributor to chine walk in go-fast boats. When properly adjusted one cable is in tension and one is in compression. Of course the redundancy of a second cable is nice too.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Makes LOTS of sense... even more reason to stick with dual cables

I've driven a 70 mph 20' Nitro with one cable..... Didn't like it one bit tho I;m not sure 2 cables would have made me like it much better tho... I LIKE speed but that didn't feel safe to me at all. Now my bud's 27' donzi would bore you to tears at 70.

Point of all that? That kind of speed on that kind of hull, I would think EVERY bit of safety and stability you can get would be a VERY good thing.