Johnson Aerator Pump/Leak

Fishman_Kuzan

Recruit
Had an interesting day boating... Boat was running great to start. Got out to the fishing hole and after a few casts heard running water. Opened the port to my battery compartment to find the bilge full and water gushing in. Also, the dealer/previous owner had left a 4 quart container of 2 stroke oil in by the batteries which had worked itself upside down and emptied the entire contents into the bilge. So I had a blue slimy mess and unidentified leak. Turns out the plastic stem off of my Mayfield Marine/Johnson aerator pump busted, disconnecting it from the line to my livewell. I'm sure many of you know but just for information sake, my pump goes straight through the transom and has no sort of check valve so with the pump disconnected water was allowed straight into the boat. It was pretty much like having no plug in! Tried to connect the hose to the busted stem, but it was too slimy and wet. Got most the water out with the bilge pump and plugged the aerator up with my t-shirt then caught a couple of fish, so not a total loss.

I would like any input on the problems the water/oil might cause and how to best clean it out. I have a center line fuel tank that seems sealed well, but is there a chance water may have gotten into the gas? I've got it pretty dry and clean at this point, but I only have access to a small part of the hull. Flotation doesn't seem saturated, carpet isn't wet, so I'm hoping I got the water out soon enough. The boat is a 16' smoker stiletto.

Does anybody know if there is an aerator pump out there that will not allow water in the boat when its disconnected from the livewell line? This shouldn't happen again... don't really know how it happened, but would be nice to prevent the gushing water if it does happen again.

Last edited: