Watersports Flag - Proper use?

WhalenMarine

Recruit
Spending time in Arizona and Iowa I can tell you the flag (or lack there of in Az) will get you in big trouble. We had a newbie accidentally drop the flag in the water at Lake Pleasant (AZ) and it sank. It was early and the marina wasn't open yet so we figured ANY big orange square would work as a "rider down" notification... Boy were we in for a surprise. Not only did Fish & Game flag us down, they boarded and checked ALL of our safety equipment. We were in compliance, but whew, it could have been a lot worse. They did bust our chops about the Type IV as a flag and told us to get over to the marina as soon as it opened and get a new flag.

So if you ever boat in AZ make sure you have the flag. As for Iowa, I haven't had any run ins with the DNR yet, but I am sure the day will come. The Iowa Boater handbook says it is "recommended" to have a 12" x 12" blaze orange flag... Doesn't say required. And it is to be displayed when riders are waiting to get up and when they fall waiting to be picked up.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
Spending time in Arizona and Iowa I can tell you the flag (or lack there of in Az) will get you in big trouble. We had a newbie accidentally drop the flag in the water at Lake Pleasant (AZ) and it sank. It was early and the marina wasn't open yet so we figured ANY big orange square would work as a "rider down" notification... Boy were we in for a surprise. Not only did Fish & Game flag us down, they boarded and checked ALL of our safety equipment. We were in compliance, but whew, it could have been a lot worse. They did bust our chops about the Type IV as a flag and told us to get over to the marina as soon as it opened and get a new flag.

So if you ever boat in AZ make sure you have the flag. As for Iowa, I haven't had any run ins with the DNR yet, but I am sure the day will come. The Iowa Boater handbook says it is "recommended" to have a 12" x 12" blaze orange flag... Doesn't say required. And it is to be displayed when riders are waiting to get up and when they fall waiting to be picked up.

Yep, that's one of the few things which gets them up in no time on the other lakes around PHX too. Make sure it's well above the bimini top if you have it up or they will catch you too. Reg states that it has to be visible 360deg.... They have no problem if you have the flag up all the time someone is in the water or while you tow.
We have the flag up as soon as someone goes into the water and until the tow rope is back in the boat. I think we have more than 3 flags in the boat just in case one drowns :facepalm:

Last edited: