Watersports Flag - Proper use?

phatslim

Cadet
My wife and I will have no hesitation in erring on the side of caution and even though a watersports flag isn't mandatory in NY, we're spending a few bucks to have one.

My question is this, as I've seen mixed opinions in the states where it IS required.

Is it proper to only fly it (we have a flag holder that its 4' pole will set in) when a tuber/skier is down or is it okay to fly it the entire time?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Watersports Flag - Proper use?

I think your supposed to fly it when ever your engaged in the activity.

Not positive, never actually seen one used.

cwarends

Cadet

In Missouri it is to be displayed only when a person being pulled is down in the water. However, most vacationers do nut know the law and have the flag permanently displayed when pulling someone.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it seems unnecessary to fly one when you are pulling someone because duh it's obvious you are pulling someone.

when the person is down, I guess it tells other boaters your slkiier is down and to look out, but it's not much of a warning.

Sad to say, unless using the flags is common practice, I doubt many boaters would know what it is. I've never seen one and wouldn't know and I am an experienced boater who tries to know and follow the rules as well as best practices.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Unless you have more children or friends than you want, pick your days and location. Some days and places are unsafe, why put those you tow in a dangerous situation. Watching the tourists with kids on tubes in the ICW proves some have a kid or 2 they don't want to take home.

canyonken

Seaman

Most every boat I see on the Mississippi (Alton pool) uses the flag. There are a lot of people skiing and tubing on the river. See the flag a lot.

oldjeep

Admiral

Check your state regs. In MN where they are not required, nobody would have the slightest clue why you are flying the flag. When we were at LOTO where they were required, people knew what they were because it was the law.

phatslim

Cadet

Well, I think the consensus here is the same everywhere else...no idea. :)

I think Home Cookin' is right...the majority won't know what it means. But, I'd have to venture a guess that a big bright orange flag has to at least pique someone's curiosity to watch out. I dunno. If it draws attention to our boat when a kid is in the water, it's worth the $18.

I think we'll just fly it when a skier or tuber is down, like Home Cookin' said as well.

Fortunately, we're on a very large lake and traffic is rarely congested where we're located. We won't be heading out if the traffic is even close to heavy but we have the benefit of being able to go whenever we want, weekends or weekdays, because I work from home.

I tend to overthink safety sometimes, but with boating, I think it's more excused. Especially when the lake is often filled with imbeciles.

UncleWillie

Captain

There is no consistency from state to state.

New Jersey requires the triangular flag to be UP all the time a skier or rope is out of the boat.

Arizona requires a square flag to be up when the skiers is in the water but not when actually skiing.

An Orange Helmet or Silicon Swim Cap might be more practical.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am in NJ. I like the law, as it makes it easy to see who is towing someone. Especially with salt water on your eyeglasses.

Chef Shawn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck with that. Indiana boaters don't seem to know what a distress flag means...

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have heard to fly it when they are down but i put mine up the whole time we tow. And as for people not knowing what it means i agree if you see an orange flag you should at least slow or take note of your surroundings!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

in Colorado you use the flag anytime someone is in the water, if you have someone on an inflatable then you would take it down, if you have a skier or wakeboarder you take the flag down once that person gets up, if you have one flag you need another, they always seem to find their way into the drink so get a spare.

I think we'll just fly it when a skier or tuber is down

To be honest I'd be more concerned about getting the boat back in close proximity to the skier who's down. Plus, if a flag isn't commonly used in your area nobody's going to have a clue what it means anyway.

QC

Supreme Mariner

So odd to me in the West where they are required, used, and generally used properly. ALL boaters have them in CA, AZ, NV, Utah. This is where I have boated and used them.

Lipp has it closest. But we also use them as long as equipment is in the water, like if the line is out, flag is up even if the skier is back in the boat. Old school guys like myself acknowledge another boater's flag by raising our arm straight up. It tells the other boater that you are aware he has stuff, and/or people in the wawa. I love it actually. A warning, and an acknowledgment it is seen. It has transitioned lately to be used for swimmers too. Technically an improper use, but it is well accepted here even by LEOs. We even have automatic flag holder raiser things for sale in the boating stores and marinas.

CA State reg:

Under California law, the display of a ski flag is mandatory to indicate a skier in the water, or a ski,
a line, or similar equipment in the immediate area. The display of the ski flag does not in itself restrict
the use of the water, but warns boaters operating in the area to exercise caution.
Boaters who see a red or orange flag being displayed should be on the lookout for a skier or equipment
in the water

So odd to me in the West where they are required, used, and generally used properly. ALL boaters have them in CA, AZ, NV, Utah. This is where I have boated and used them.....

It'll never happen, but it would be great if the states could get together on a consistent set of regulations.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I guess we are just behind the times down here . I can honestly say I have never seen any use of a ski warning flag and I have been around the water all my life . But it sounds like a good idea !

QC

Supreme Mariner

Oh and definitely the flag comes down once the boat, board, ski, tube etc. is up on plane. We often see the flag still up when pulling say a little kid at very slow speeds. Boat still at displacement speeds.

It is so common here that often multiple people will bark out "Flag up" when the skier goes down to remind the observer.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

Colorado is the same as the other Western States as described by QC.

Flag goes up if a skier is down or a rope is in the water. Stows if skier is up. Spotter is also required in addition to the driver.

ziggy

Admiral

looks like the op will need to check his states regs to know what is proper in his area and what is not.

i'll add NE. to a state that uses the orange flag.
Orange Flag
orflag.gif

Orange Flag: Whenever a waterskier, surfboarder, or any person engaged in a similar activity or associated equipment, is down in the water the operator or observer of the tow boat must display a hunter orange flag of a size not less than 12 inches square or at least 144 square inches. This flag must be visible 360 degrees.

that's from the rule book here in NE.
i used to use it (the orange flag) to swim around my boat but after reading the reg over again i've decided it's not necessary to do that, so i don't. i just stay close to my boat when swimming in open water. though i do have one on board, but since i don't pull water skiiers, i don't know why, other than it don't take up much space to have one on board.
fwiw. when swimming in open water i personally also have my pfd on.