Replacing seat cushion hinge issue

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class
The hinges that held the bench seat cushions on were broken so I took what I could off and got new hinges from Veeda (think I spelled that right). Got the old bolts out of the molded bottoms no problem but when I went to get them out of the seats I have run into two issues.
First some just spin. Can't get them to come out. Second one set seems to have different heads and nothing I have tried fits the dang things. I got all the others out but these just won't accept any driver head I put in.
Thirdly on one seat bolts came out but can't get them to go back in and lock down. Whatever was in there is no longer stationary to get the bolt to catch.
I can't drill out the others cause they just turn also so not sure how I can go about getting them out and then how to make it so I can get new bolts in so the hinge will hold them on.
Any advice apprecaited.
Mark

Attachments

• bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bolt holes.jpg
    bolt holes.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing seat cushion hinge issue

Not gonna like this, but its probably time for new seats.

brooksville_rebel

Petty Officer 1st Class

But I just bought new hinges .. LOL.
I am afraid of that. Looking tho I only see the whole setup, molded bottoms and the tops. Does anyone just sell the top cushions ?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

To get the spinners out, you'll need to catch it somehow and turn while pulling..
For the ones that won't catch inside, I spose if you're desparate enough just fill the holes with a ton of epoxy (like marinetex gray) and retap them?

I agree though, seems time for new seats..

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the vinyl and cushions are in decent shape it shouldn't be a lot of work to make a new seat bottom... assuming you have some basic tools. Couple hours. From the looks of it I would say 3 hours tops. Oh and you'll want to use stainless staples when you put all back together.

fishrdan

Admiral

The seat cushions probably had Tnuts that have loosened in the wood, rusted or fallen out. It looks like you could easily pull some staples to get access to the inside of the seat, replace the Tnuts, staple the vinyl back down and be back in business. I'm guessing they used zinc coated steel Tnuts, but I'd use SS Tnuts so they don't rust out again.