so does anyone still winter outside without using that white plastic shrink covering

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright Im learning a ton.

I live in Connecticut and winters here are unpredictable. It seems I see a lot of boats using that plastic shrinkwrap when they winter outside. That seems kinda wasteful and expensive. How did people properly cover their boats before that stuff?

I want to start taking nibbles at the things I need so I dont have to do it right all at once.

I have 18' bow rider outboard.
I have a snap on cover i used at the dock and I have a full trailer-able cover with straps that run around and under the hull. (vented with 4 vents as well.)

I dont have a shelter to put the boat into

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: so does anyone still winter outside without using that white plastic shrink cover

You see people do it around here, but leaving a conventional cover on if you get a lot of snow is a good way to ruin the cover and fill the boat unless it can be tented really high.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: so does anyone still winter outside without using that white plastic shrink cover

I use a dedicated canvas cover from Fisher Canvas. Has sleeves for 2x4s to keep it reinforced against the snow. For my 26' boat, it cost quite a bit (around $800), but I figure if I ever sell the boat, I can sell the cover separate. Try that with plastic wrap.

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in Wisconsin and winter here is VERY predictable. It 100% snows!!! LOL

Anywho, All I use is a tarp on top of my cover. Been doing it for since I've had a boat. I like the tarp because snow/water just slides off. Have had zero problems.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I used to do it every year here in NH. I've since built a 18x28 carport to park under. I prefer the carport as it keep the sun off the boat all year. It cost about the same as 10 years of shrink wrap. 8 years to go before it pays for itself for Winter, but the shade and rain protection is just awesome. I only wash the boat a couple of times a year now and wax once a year since it stays so clean. I also love not having to cover it when I'm done for the day. I used to wash it before every trip due to the black streaks from the raining running off the cockpit cover.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can build a structure with a 2x4 running down the center length of the boat high enough and get a regular blue or silver tarp, I've done it and it works great as long as you securely tie down the tarp.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

few people around here shrink wrap (coastal Virginia). Lots of boats are left uncovered or with just a console cover. Some have fitted "whole boat" covers or tarps, mainly to keep them clean and reduce sunlight fading--especially if kept under trees. We get very little snow and it melts within a week at most; rain water drains out the bilge hole if on land or by bilge pump if moored so it's harmless.

Chief9

Seaman

I put up a carport with sides for our boat. It does a great job at keeping the boat protected from weather and uv. Also makes a nice place to do maintenance and store my boat stuff.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In most of the country, you can put up a 12 x 21' aluminum carport for $1,000, installed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have stored mine outside, and the custom fitted trailerable cover is safely INSIDE the garage. I don't like using an expensive cover out in the elements over winter, so instead I just build a quick PVC tent support and use a big harbor freight plastic tarp. They last 2 seasons at best, but are also cheap.

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^^ PVC and Harbor Freight Tarps! Good protection AND ventilation!

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have stored mine outside, and the custom fitted trailerable cover is safely INSIDE the garage. I don't like using an expensive cover out in the elements over winter, so instead I just build a quick PVC tent support and use a big harbor freight plastic tarp. They last 2 seasons at best, but are also cheap.

One thing to note about the expensive covers: they typically cinch down around the hull below the rub rail which makes it hard for the critters seeking shelter to get inside.

Throw a big tub of DampRid in there to keep the mold producing condensation at bay.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Shrink wrap is like anything else. If you have the money and don't use the boat over the winter, why not?

I did the trap thing for 10 years. It got old going out and "battening down the hatches" before a storm and shoving snow and ice off he boat the few times a year its snows or ices. The boat is now keep in the equipment shed. Now my only worry is dust :lol:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I used to rent a storage building 20 X 30 for the winter and kept the boat covered too. The cover kept the bugs, dust, and critters out. Now I don't winterize here as it is used all year-- bought an indoor dry slip and so much better!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Now I don't winterize here as it is used all year-- bought an indoor dry slip and so much better!
Got to ask...what is an "indoor dry slip"? New name for rack storage since all the fires?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Back in the day if you had a small boat it was stored in the garage. If it was too big for the garage it had a canvas tarp put over it. Then they came out with plastic tarps.....ughhh. Grandpa used to say if you used plastic the boat would mildew and the wood would rot. If you read the boat mags at the time they said the same thing.

Then somebody invented shrinkwrap. And after some failures they invented shrinkwrap with vents.

Sometimes things get "improved", but they are not always better. No matter what subject, you always get what you pay for.

Shrinkwrap is relatively cheeeep. Canvas, with the support frames, is pretty expensive. Cheep isn't always "good".

Back in the day the old wooden boats lasted for more than one generation. Today, if you look at a used boat it is recommended to check for a soft deck. Look at the number of threads here asking how to clean mildew off the upholstery.

You do the math......LOL.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I get my 22.5 Islander shrink wrapped, and I store it inside.
BAM!

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help. Here is what I decided to do. Im going to use the two cover method. The first is a vented semi custom fitted cover I got at big lots for $65 over a strap frame. The second will be a tarp over that.

I stole the strap frame design from the plastic covering how to. The straps attach to a 2x4 pole in the center of the boat and sits on the floor of the ski locker. 6 straps run from it and attach to each mooring cleat on the boat. I put a wood dowel in the ski pole mount and cut it to the height I needed. I then ran a strap from it to the center 2x4. I attached two pieces of cardboard on top of the 2x4 with a roofing nail through all the straps.

before covering
prepped motor (of course)
I removed everything that could be removed from the boats interior and gave it a good cleaning.
I propped the hatches open with foam blocks and sponges.
I put two disposable Mold killer\Dehumidifier kits on the floor
after much debate I decided to remove the batteries because i would be thinking about them all winter.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for a "ridge pole" set up for smaller boats, consider getting those metal saw-horse brackets you put 2x4's in, and make a custom sawhorse the length and height you want. Could even put a 2x6 for the ridge.

The weak point on all covers is the corners of windshields, boards, etc. so reinforce the canvas if you buy a cover (go to an awning shop) or pad the corners. Foam pipe insulation tubes work well on top of windshields.

Few covers are as waterproof as you think, so allow for some seepage, and set it up to drain.

there is the inherent conflict between ventilated and water-tight. overall, I think ventilation is more important.

And remember, almost any boat you put away will be wet somewhere, especially if you do your cleaning and covering at the same time, so all your efforts to clean end up trapping killer moisture for the winter.

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks for all the help. Here is what I decided to do. Im going to use the two cover method.

I hope you don't get much snow in CT - that setup would never fly in MN. Too easy for the snow to stick and start creating pockets.