1998 1903 Trophy Center Console

Cantrn1135

Cadet
Hello I have a few questions; I know this is going to be a touchy subject because everybody bashes Bayliner. I just purchased a 1998 Bayliner Trophy that was in great shape, water tested it and everything worked as it should. I have one question that I have been searching all over the internet but can' find an answer. In the manual it states that the 1903 Trophy features Unibond composite structural system. What does this mean I know they still used wood for the transom but are the stringers composite material and not wood?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1998 1903 Trophy Center Console

They were still wood encapsulated in resin, some in fiberglass. I'd not say anyone bashes Bayliner, but the facts speak loudly. Some are good but they are rare and it is inconsistent. Usually, their large cruisers were better made.

arthurgbranch

Recruit

UNIBOND COMPOSITE CONSTRUCTION... Marine Composites are the plywood and fiberglass although any two materials combined to make an object stronger could be considered composites like adobe' plaster... Unibond is a company name that produces CYANOACRYLATE or better known as superglue... Unibondcompositeconstruction ... Multiple bonded objects... The plywood encased in fiberglass is bonded to the hull, deck, etc. with an epoxy adhesive... Then the bonded area is reinforced with layers of fiberglass... Bayliner is closed fisted with their construction methods and nifty words go a long way... I personally believe you cannot get better quality construction without adding more glass.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

YUP wood glued to glass is a composite so the term mean's exactly nothing

Pony

Rear Admiral

There is something to be said for the fact that many Bayliners were purchased by first time boaters on the cheap (comparatively) and as a result many of them were not maintained very well. BUT there is plenty of evidence to suggest that there are some bad design flaws and poor workmanship as well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

despite all that, if it was stored dry (plug out, bow up, or moored with an auto bilge pump) you should be OK. check the transom by putting all your weight on the motor and looking for flex. With a self-bailing deck (I assume) and no carpet you don't get a lot of water in the bilge and the boat dries out.

Cantrn1135

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys, the boat is in good shape but maybe I should re-home the boat, I live in Ohio so you don't see many center console boats and like I said this one was in great shape. I looked the boat over really well and I couldn't see any piece of wood showing on that boat and when I read the oringinal owners Manuel it is very misleading stating unibond synthetic material leading you to believe there is not much wood used in the boats construction.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The bottom line is that you already bought it, so what difference does it make now? Enjoy it, store it dry like any boat should be and don't worry about it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The worst thing about a CC in OH is unless you shorten the season you will freeze and turn passengers into icebergs.
Thanks for the info guys, the boat is in good shape but maybe I should re-home the boat, I live in Ohio so you don't see many center console boats and like I said this one was in great shape. I looked the boat over really well and I couldn't see any piece of wood showing on that boat and when I read the oringinal owners Manuel it is very misleading stating unibond synthetic material leading you to believe there is not much wood used in the boats construction.