Stow your anchor chain/line

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer
So my question for most of the larger vessel types such as 21' and up but anyone can assist. If your boat is equiped with large anchor that you have mounted on the bow of boat where do you stow your chain/line while it sits waiting to be dropped? As for my vessel it runs from anchor that is secured on bow via it's proper bracket. However my chain/line run into the bow of my boat through a hole with a stainless steel cover but the problem is water can easily gain access into my cabin area where the chain/line come into.

It sits in a bucket below the bow in my cabin until needed up on deck. I would like to stow this another way or is there some way I can prevent the water from coming into my cabin using the same design but buy a cap like I have with a seal on it maybe? Again would prefer to just get rid of that design since its coming into my cabin and that chain/line sit in the bucket molding away causing some smells. Any ideas? I will try to get some photos of what I'm referring to unless you guys can visualize (Photos are best I know).

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Stow your anchor chain/line

You could construct a more permanent solution by making an area separate from the main cabin up in the point of the bow. Fabricate a box, seal the area inside the anchor line chamber and put in a through the hull fitting with a drain tube for the water that comes in to drain back out. If done right all one would see is a bulkhead in the very front of the bow. You could even install a blower to dry out the line and box.

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Not a bad approach I suppose, my bow inside my cabin already has a small hatch like compartment in the nose that is covered by a layer of carpet that can be easily converted to that fabricated box like you stated. So when most people install a Pulpit on the bow of their boat where does that chain/line go down inside the bow of boat in a compartment?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

look at the compartments on the front of most recent center console deep V boats in the 21' range. IN fact I think you can buy the anchor locker as an insert so you don't have to fabricate it. The line and chain should not go down in to living areas.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks I will search this online or local boat sales