anyone make a Ski locker fishing pole rack

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have been tripping over my fishing poles when I go out with the the wife and kids. They get tangled the kids are moving around and the fall over. It seems that they are always getting in the way. I have been thinking about putting them in the ski locker but hesitated since they could get wet if I have any water in there.

Anyone ever make a rack to put in the ski locaker so it will keep the poles up off the bottom ?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: anyone make a Ski locker fishing pole rack

I'm thinkin put the wife n kids in the ski locker if they can't learn to take care of the rods.... LOL

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

+1 to smoke's idea, though realistically, the wife and kids would always be below decks. Maybe that's a good thing for some familes.

Even with the most focused fishing crews, dedicated rod storage is an effective way to reduce tackle damage and tangling, and increase ease of use. What type of boat do you have? Any other areas that may be used for rod holders? Tower? Windshield frame? Engine bay? Gunwales?

If your ski locker is the last resort, it still can be a good one. If the locker is getting that wet that often, then perhaps there is a water issue to solve first. Otherwise, depending on the locker configuration, is yours deep enough to mount the rod holders on the vertical walls of the locker (we store bimini pole holders and even a docking pole hook here). Alternatively, mount the rod holders up on blocks to keep them higher off the ski locker floor - this will obviously make ski storage challenged. The other issue to be aware of is that a ski locker door seems worse than a car door, and is therefore a good way to snap rods in half, a good hinge lock to prevent unwanted slamming would be useful.

Last edited:

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2002 Four Winns 180 Horizon (fish and ksi package) here are a few pictures
'02 Four Winns Horizon 180 005-69463.JPG'02 Four Winns Horizon 180 006-38140.JPG'02 Four Winns Horizon 180 003-91773.JPG

No water issues I RARELY have to run the bilge pump. its the kids swimming, getting in and out etc. There isnt much water there typically. if it rains and I forgot the poles is more what im thinking.

the locker is real deep (I actually have the running lights clipped on the sides now)

There are two side pockets for storage and I put the Ski Pole and cover poles in there. I was thinking that I might use that area. The big issue using the side pockets is I would have to break the poles down to put them away and my kids are young so they all over the place.

When in full fishing mode (two people) this will not be an issue.

I even thought of a rack hanging from on the bimini top. That may also work.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

why not simply take the poles out of the boat when not fishing?.... maybe put a telescoping pole onboard for the "I just HAVE to cast that dock" moments.