seat pedestal height question

petreaux1

Cadet
I bought a Swiveleze 3/4" pin type seat base, floor base, and basic boat seat and all work fine. The problem is the extension pole,adjustable 25"-31", is way to tall to sit on. I am 6' tall. I measured out that a 18" extension pole would be right for me . The 13" they sell is way too short. So if 18" is right does anybody know who sells a approx. 15"-21" extension pole? Or has anyone come up w/ a custom solution? I am putting in regular seats, not the bass boat style butt seats/leaning post. At the lowest 25" setting I could not even get close to sitting in this chair. Thanks for any and all input.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: seat pedestal height question

Inspect it closely,or post a pic. Can it be cut down or is it a sealed unit?
Grub

I cut the ends off of mine so they would 'scope together a bit further, and drilled another hole closer to the base on one piece for the pin. I'm not sure of the final height but it was much better than the options. It seems like everyone carries a solid model that is much to low, and another model that is much too high for any practical application. A friend with basic welding skills should be able to modify one of the solid models for the cost of a 12 pack.

dragos28

Seaman

I searched all over but couldn't find any pictures.
On my searay 180 the seat post was too short.. or maybe i'm too short, LOL..
but i did not like the view from the seat, especially if there was someone riding in the bow of the boat.
I looked online for some options but did not like what i found.
So i purchased an aluminum pipe (6" or 8" dont recall) from the metal supply store, and some aluminum band, about 3/8" thick.
Took the pipe to my buddy and had him weld a flat piece on top, drilled out corresponding holes for the seat.
Took off the top part of the pedestal and slid the new pipe over the old one, tapped about 3 screws in it, now I am able to ride higher, and see over the windshield..

hope that was clear as mud

:D

petreaux1

Cadet

The 15-18 look good, thanks... the only ones with the right height are $100 each-wow.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Least not to forget that all pedistals have a ABYC safety rating and many are not rated to be used above 5 mph.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I popped for a Garelick seat post (from iBoats, of course) that gets my driver's seat up high enough that I'm always looking over the windshield. It was over a $100 (it has a pneumatic piston for height adjustment, swivel, slide, etc.) and I'm so glad I installed it. Before I installed it, I was almost always standing when I drive the boat; now I can sit and still see the water to avoid hazards, waves, etc. The pneumatic type cost a bit more, but the adjustability is very nice...

dragos28

Seaman

Found some pics to clear up the mud...

13+-+1

13+-+2

13+-+3

13+-+4

13+-+5

total height is about 18"... where before it was about 12"...