Perplexing trim tab question

marineatbn03

Recruit
I have Bennetts on my 85 Carver 3207. Within the last year both tabs stopped working and I think I discovered today why they do not work. I was digging around trying to find the HPU and both hydraulic lines. I started at the switch and it had power. The starboard side line looked as though it melted about 2" from the actuator connection. There doesn't appear to be any heat source anywhere near the line or anything that could have coaused this. The line was completely severed.

I am assuming (only had a few minutes to investigate) that this severed line has caused a complete loss of fluid and therefore the cause of the problem. While it looks as though I could simply reconnect the line by cutting the bad end off and connecting it to the actuactor connection again and fill the resevoir, I was curious whether anyone would have any inclination as to the source of this problem. Is there anything that would cause the line to collapse on itself and sever? I just do not want to have this be a recurring problem.

Thanks for any insight.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Re: Perplexing trim tab question

Marineatbn03,

That is very odd to say the least, and is not a recurring issue with our tubing. Was any work done in that section of the boat? Do you think that the Trim Tabs are original equipment on the boat? If so, it is weird that they would work for this long and then fail.

If you like send me your name and address in a PM and I will send you nut and ferule connections to reattach the tubing to the pump.