Cobalt engine hatch lifter

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
So I'm looking at a very clean 91-92 Cobalt Tradition 22' with the 454. The boat came equipped with an automated engine hatch lift. The switch is there, the wiring is there, but at some point, someone removed the rest of the mechanism. I have no idea if it was electric, or electric/hydraulic or what. It's all gone with just the wires left hanging. The engine hatch is HEAVY on this boat, so I'd like to replace the power lift, or at the very least, put some struts in there to make opening the hatch easier. My preference would be to retain the power lift, but google hasn't been much help in finding what parts are supposed to be there. Is it something I go to Cobalt for, or do I just figure out my parts list and get generic stuff from someplace like Grainger? Any idea what kind of cost is associated with this repair? I haven't bought the boat yet, I'm just trying to figure what costs will be associated with repairing this before I make an offer. I can live with certain minor flaws, but having to manually lift this engine cover isn't one of them. In the last 10 years, my back has aged 20 years!

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobalt engine hatch lifter

Nitsuj, give Cobalt a call, they are remarkably helpful even on older gen craft. The only heads up is that they control parts inventory closely, so it may cost you to retrofit the older power lift.

Your idea to go to manual struts is a good one, and can be much more cost effective and perhaps more reliable. Our 200 has an incredibly heavy hatch, though the manual struts are plenty to assist with the lift. I'll try to take photos for you this weekend for placement ideas and parts sourcing.