Chris Craft, input wanted?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
So I sold the Baja last August and this summer I have been jonesing for another boat/project.

This past week I was speaking with my Manager, as I knew she and her family had a boat from our previous conversations. I had mention if they were wanted to get rid of it I might be interested? Also from our previous conversations I know they hadn't used in like 5 years and it has been stored at a rented lot (@$35/month). I mentioned I don't mind a project if they wanted to unload, if the price was right? Her immediate response was "yes, we'd be interested", "I bet my husband would just give it to you!" She is pretty sure the engine had froze "or something like that"

So I texted her asking about "what her husband had said to getting rid of?" She replied "It's got a newer trailer, so he want's $500.00." I'm thinking that a fair price? Before you respond here are what I know about the boat right now...

1994-1995(?) Chris Craft Concept 197. I has a 5.0L Volvo Penta SX drive. Unsure of hours as I need to look at it this next week? My manager gonna bring in all the paperwork so I can check it out. I has been tarped in the rental yard; however, the tarp/cover has some damage so water infiltration is definitely an issue. She says the upholstery need replacing (I can do myself; however, I might just pay someone local, $800.00) I know these years of CC they went to a fiberglass liner style and I've heard from a few sources that CC stopped using wood around these years (I cannot confirm this, so please if you have one or know?)

Does anyone have any input? I mean $500, is as cheap as it gets, I plan on a rebuilt or used motor. If it's a Ford based 5.0, then marine parts are scarce? From what I can see the SX drives parts are still available, Don S. (R.I.P.) posted a ton of info on where to find parts in a sticky in the Volvo portion)

I will snap some pics when I go take a look?

~Brett

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chris Craft, input wanted?

Doesn't sound promising. Make sure you run the #'s for your situation.

$500 purchase.
$3000 motor.
$800 upholstery.
$1500 in deck and stringers maybe
$1500 random expenses.
$400 in trailer fixup.
Lots of time and hassle for a mid '90s runabout that is not very special.

$6500 gets you a water ready '90s runabout. Then just go boating.

Let us know what the outcome is!

oldjeep

Admiral

I wouldn't bother with it personally. Concept 197 is just a generic bowrider with a fancy mfg name on it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Is the reason they parked it the motor is blown? It is the water that entered that is of major concern. I'd probably walk. It is too old for me to put a lot of time or money in. Good name, but nothing special. Very often you can get in your tow vehicle and take a vacation away from the high cost of living area and find a deal in the south east.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

The trailer's probably worth $500, or said differently, sounds interesting enough to take a closer look. Hunting season's about to get good in Colorado. Good luck Baja.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

The trailer's probably worth $500, or said differently, sounds interesting enough to take a closer look. Hunting season's about to get good in Colorado. Good luck Baja.

Yes, we're supposed to go 1st season/rifle elk hunting (Oct16th-Oct20th). Got a trip to Vegas that might trump it this year. I know the wife needs a kid vacation as well!?

First off,

Thanks for all the input...I hadn't actually put a pen to paper as far as costs go...

Here are calvinator's #'s
$500 purchase.
$3000 motor.
$800 upholstery.
$1500 in deck and stringers maybe
$1500 random expenses.
$400 in trailer fixup.
Lots of time and hassle for a mid '90s runabout that is not very special.

Here are my thoughts on #'s

$500.00 purchase
$2000.00 on a rebuild motor (I can install all the extras and install in boat myself)
$800.00 Upholstery
$??? Deck/stringers/transom (if these are rotten...I will pass as I only have limited area to work on)
$500 in random expenses
$0 trailer is newer and in really good shape (per my manager's husband, he's not known to be bs'er)

so $3,800 for a is still not bad...predicated on a few things? Definitely need to see what needs and I want to do before a decision is made...as I stated a will post pics when I go look...I appreciate all the input

I agree on the 90's CC not being anything special, but it's a boat and one I can work on over the winter, I love projects. Even if I could break even on refurbishing, it'd be worth it too me!

~Brett

Last edited:

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^Hah, I meant boat hunting season. Happy to keep an eye out for you on Grand Lake/Lake Granby as the season ends.

Perhaps you get lucky on the CC and that "she's pretty sure the engine is froze or something like that" might mean something lesser than a cracked block or replacement.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

My '91 has fiberglass enclosed wood stringers. YMMV

haulnazz15

Captain

You can buy reman 302/351w's all day long for $1250-1400 if it makes your decision any easier. Rapido marine, us engines, etc have them readily available. Just bolt on the stuff from your frozen engine and go. $2-3000 all-in for a 90's 20' bow rider isn't bad at all, regardless of what name is on the side. If the transom/stringers are solid, I wouldn't pass it up if everything else is good.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You could easily make good $ off the boat parting it out if rebuilding the boat ends up being too expensive. Just the trailer and the lower units pull good money on Craigslist.com and EBayMotors.com.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

You can buy reman 302/351w's all day long for $1250-1400 if it makes your decision any easier. Rapido marine, us engines, etc have them readily available. Just bolt on the stuff from your frozen engine and go. $2-3000 all-in for a 90's 20' bow rider isn't bad at all, regardless of what name is on the side. If the transom/stringers are solid, I wouldn't pass it up if everything else is good.

I finally spoke with owner (husband anyway!?) He says the boat overall is in great condition. The reason it was parked was either a) a cracked block, b) Popped freeze plugs and/or c) cracked manifold. Owner said he winerized per the manufacturer's recommended procedure about 5 years ago. The next spring they took it out and and it was over heating. They took it too a mechanic who said the a,b,c's above. The seller decided not to look any further (or spend the money). They parked it. Went back after the following winter and the tarp had ripped letting the interior be exposed to sun/weather. He says they then covered it, but they are pretty sure it needs new upholstery?! The trailer was new in about 2006-2007 and has only a few hundred miles on it! He's sure it's the Volvo-Penta Motor (5.0L not sure if Ford based or GM, spoke with a boat guy out of Denver today, he's pretty sure it's not the Ford as he used to sell Chris-Crafts back then!?) and SX out-drive. He said he maintained everything religiously prior to the miss-information when winterizing it. He also said the Fiberglass is in excellent shape, the out drive was maintained meticulously...the only reason he's considering selling it is because he has 2 kids in college and has no time to use anymore and has no interest in investing funds to only sell for what he'll have into it. I'm going to meet with him next Weekend to determine whether or not it's practical to make happen.

The boat guy out of Denver has a 305ci Used with less than 70 hours for $800...assuming it's a GM based motor...if it's Ford he's got rebuilt 5.0L's for $1,800...they're long blocks, but have oil pans, valve and timing covers installed...I all I gotta do is but it back together with parts from existing motor and re-install!

Fingers Crossed!

To be continued...

~Brett

haulnazz15

Captain

I dunno, my bet is on the Volvo using the Ford powerplant, it was a very common combo in the early-mid 90's until they quit making the 302/351w in 1996. It's possible that it's the GM 305, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I dunno, my bet is on the Volvo using the Ford powerplant, it was a very common combo in the early-mid 90's until they quit making the 302/351w in 1996. It's possible that it's the GM 305, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm assuming this as well! Not a biggie either way, it's just money, right?

~Brett

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

SO...

I went ahead and purchased the boat, $500.00. It turned out to be a 1996 (in lieu of a 1995), it's also a Concept 18 in lieu of the Concept 197. It does have a carbureted 5.0L (5.0FL) Ford based volvo-penta (I'm thinking 205HP-220HP?). It has a Holley Carburetor (not sure of jetting/size/etc). Volvo-Penta SX Cobra Drive. Sat on 2 flat tires with dry rotted valve stems (lucky there was a Big O tire about 3 blocks from Storage yard!)

The last registration on the boat was 2004 as was the trailer, I'm thinking this thing sat for more than 5+ years the seller had told me?

THE GOOD: Hull looks decent; a few stress cracks on the cap (where you'd expect); The interior was rough...really rough the ski locker had standing water (which based on the torrential rains we've seen in the past 2 weeks, I'm not surprised with out a cover.) The seller also told me today that he never took it to a mechanic as his wife and he had told me previously (I'm guessing he told her that to keep her of his back?) All he knows is that it over heated the last time he had it out...he pulled it out and parked in at the lot? Hopefully this is good news and it's something simple, like an impeller? The transom was solid as were the engine mounts. The floor has no soft spots and is of a fiberglass liner type (Panels for ski locker and fuel tank can readily be removed with just screws.) From near as I can tell all the stringers appear to be of something other than wood? either way, it all was surprisingly solid and well coated in glass and epoxy/gel (or whatever they seal the stringer with?). I also forget to mention the oil (after the 20 mile drive home) was still thick and black, there didn't appear to be any water in it...I guess they could separate, but after the drive I'd assume some agitation?

THE BAD: I had to removed ever inch of interior; the back sun deck, rear bench and frame work, front helms, bow seats and backs. I also removed all the snap in carpet (which I may leave out, as it has the diamond texture fiberglass, which apparently has held up very well!?). The seats (for the sun deck and rear bench will need all new wood backing/framing). The helms are plastic with post swivels and should be salvageable? the bow seats and backs are plastic backing, they also appear to have the vinyl intact? so the foam should be salvageable?

First thing I did once I got it home was remove everything in the boat that is not part of the boat. Then I went and power washed the whole inside. Then I removed all the panels/seating and this is where she sits.

Tomorrow, I'm draining the old oil, spraying in some liquid wrench into the cylinder walls, adding new oil, change battery, change spark plugs, siphon old gas, add 5 gallons of new, see if we can get her to spring to life and see if I can figure it out? First I gotta power wash the interior one more time, disinfect the interior with bleach. polish what needs polishing and with a prayer get her ready and winterized.

If she doesn't need a new block or something major, then next week I plan replacing all the bellows, gimbal bearing, impeller, fluids. I'll then take the interior to a local guy and get it all recovered and reinstalled.
IMG_1524.jpgIMG_1525.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1527.jpgIMG_1528.jpg

Last edited:

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like it has potential. For 500 bucks, it's worth it in parts. Pity about the obsolete motor but hopefully it'll run. I wouldn't go assuming everything is solid just because it's wrapped in fiberglass, especially with how weathered it is. There are many holes in the stringers and transom that water can get into and rot the wood. Drill some samples in them before you worry about the cushions and such. No sense putting new stuff on a bad structure. If you find rot, descision time, because you'll go upside down quick on this one. Just some friendly advice!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Kinda of a nice looking little boat. It has nice lines, I think.

I'd consider writing the manufacturer with HIN and see if they have any info on the construction materials. I did that with my '97 Larson and they were able to conform there I had non-wood stringers and bulkheads.

I'll be interested to see where you go from here with this boat!

Jim

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Well...the block is bad. Got oil changed, plugs replaced and new battery. The oil pan was overfilled...with water...so at the very least I've got a cracked head/manifold/block. I decided to go ahead and see if I could get her fired up since the oil was placed and I had the new battery (I figured no additional harm, since I'm replacing)...she came to life after about 5 minutes of cranking.

The wife and kids cleaned the hell out of it. Now that the interior is out and it's been thoroughly cleaned I got a better look at the subflooring and structure. The boat has a liner that is all fiberglass and as near as I can tell the pad where the bilge mounts has cracked and pulled away (hard to say if it's a wooden pad or not, too much grease/sludge to get a good look. Once I pull the motor I'll know more. Everything else seems solid...I will drill some test holes and see if it's dry/wet/wood/fiberglass. From what I can see and touch and because of the liner type floor, it appears to have staved of water anywhere but the bilge and ski locker. The liner itself is all fiberglass, so no plywood on the floor!

The motor is obsolete; however, there are plenty available as re-manufactured and/or OEM (Although, the OEM are $$$). Re-manufactured can be found, plentifully, for a range of $1,200-$2,099...I mean it's not like the Ford 302 was a rare motor and from near as I can tell any of the years produced (1970-2004) would work in long block form. The boat has a 2bbl carburetor; not EFI.

So far...

Boat: $500.00
New Valve Stems: $10.00
Oil/Filter/Battery (Walmart):$106.00
New 600 denier poly cover $115.00
Oil Pump (for changes): $18.00
Spark Plugs: $16.00
New Impeller/bearing buddy covers: $53.97
TOTAL (So Far): $808.97

What's left?
New Long Block: $1,200.00
New Interior: $300.00 (this has now become a home job Boat Seats and Pontoon Seats Custom Made for Your Boat by Veada!)
Misc: $200
SUB TOTAL: $1,700
GRAND TOTAL: $2,508.97

This may be wishful thinking, but even if I spend an additional $500.00 on other items, I'm still into a $5,000 boat when complete, so that makes me happy. This is all predicated on knowing that the stringers are not rotted?!

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks doable. I used Veada for my new seats as well as sheet vinyl for the replacement sunpad, side panels, etc. My original seats were ply based and totally rotten. The Veada seats are plastic framed, so rot will never happen, During the boating season Veada get backed up, but off season they can turn orders round pretty quick.