Repair a Lenco actuator?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Anyone open up and repair a Lenco actuator? mine still makes noise--not good noise--but doesn't raise/lower, and it has been hanging up before it quit.

Already spoke with lenco; too old for help. But he did advise against backing hard while the tabs are down...

Anyway I thought I might wrench around in there some before plunking out $160 for a replacement.

thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Repair a Lenco actuator?

Ya GOTTA love a guy who tells you how to fix his competitor's stuff!

KUDOS TABMAN!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I would just buy a new one. I tore one apart for a friend 2 weeks ago. 10 years old. Horrible noise, minimal movement. Bearings went out causing armature damage. Probably could spent a couple hours plus parts to repair it but for how long?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's what I'm thinking, too, especially with the boat kept in the water there would be a lot of effort to remove, open and maybe repair, reinstall, test.
Could I use a battery charger for bench testing? I don't know electricity but it seems 12 volts is 12 volts?

Thanks Tabman; I saw the Brit post, too; even know what a spanner is. Gave me an idea of what's inside--not very promising.

Going to the boat junk yard Saturday for something else and if they have one and only if it's cheap cheap I may get one (they give a short "take it home and test it" warranty) but I know that's just delaying the inevitable.

One thing I learned first hand is that if they hang up on you at sea, the easy fix isn't easy (knock out bottom pin, screw unit up manually, reinstall pin.)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

One thing I learned first hand is that if they hang up on you at sea, the easy fix isn't easy (knock out bottom pin, screw unit up manually, reinstall pin.)
The reason I have Bennett's on the stern. Loosen a fitting and they retract.