Found vhf antenna while diving

hostage

Lieutenant
I found a ~10ft antenna in about 60ft of water in lake ontario. Any idea if being in fresh water for a year or so would make it unuseable? I am doubtful about finding the owner, but if anyone lost one near Pultneyville, let me know.

-Hostage

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Found vhf antenna while diving

It's mine,never been there but I'm shure it's the one. Send it to me postage paid....lol
Good question,they stand up to the elements,but under water might be different. Screw it on to something after drying out,try it.
Grub

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Were you diving?

Edit, I re read the title.
LK

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Thankfully there was not a boat attached. I'd not trust the safety of my boat or my butt on it after being submerged that long.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The antenna is most likely fine, but ANY coax cable on it is toast. Water gets between the layers and changes the electrical properties of the cable.

hostage

Lieutenant

Thankfully there was not a boat attached. I'd not trust the safety of my boat or my butt on it after being submerged that long.

The funny thing is we were actually looking for some lost wrecks. Our club discovered a missing schooner called the Emery, anchors, cargo of coal, and even a working compass that is over 100 years old. Though it wasn't all that intacted. We are searching the shores for the missing wrecks that can't be easily picked up by side scan sonar. The side scan sonar does well on the flat mud bottoms of the deeper wrecks. Though wrecks that are in rough terrain and might be a bit damaged do their shallowness is what we are looking at. I have seen a lot of wrecks, though the idea of finding a pristine untouched wreck is more of a draw than diving on a wreck that has been scavenged and seen by a million people.