Please post some KeelGuard and KeelShield Pictures

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Based on the location and type of boating we plan to do, I decided to add a keel protector to my 2002 Four Winns 180 Horizon fish and Ski.

Now there simply isn't a lot of different pictures I could find of boats with them installed to get a good idea of what color we may want to use. (pictures always help the most in a decision)

There are a lot of opinions on the use of these but that is not what I want. I have already decided to have one installed. I would just like to see pictures of different boats with different installs and colors.

Originally I was going to install the white on the white hull. I realized that the color is not matched so it may look like I'm trying to hide something. plus with the ridges in the hull it just would look wrong to me (to boot my wife thought it will look like we put on a pantie shield :facepalm: ).

With all that in mind im thinking of just using one of the colors in the trim and making the keel protector look like part of the color scheme,

So anyway for those of us who want to install a keel guard and those who are considering adding one. Can you post some pictures? (I will add mine next week when it is installed)

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Please post some KeelGuard and KeelShield Pictures

No pictures but I did the white on white and I'm pleased with it.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The yellow one matched my hull nearly perfectly, so unless you look for it, you don't notice it.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

1c58e7e75b2b019b7a339664b82dd66c_zpsb4bfadd8.jpg

20a68f2f3850b9cc1991f6596ebc1203_zps2b1d2c5c.jpg

Last edited:

bekosh

Lieutenant

I did a black one on a red hull.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Both very nice jobs. The white doesn't look as bad as I envisioned. the boat I seen at the dealer was very different than mine and I defiantly didn't like the look

foodfisher

Captain

My white on white matched perfectly till it turned yellowish. FYI, Still wouldn't be without it.

Last edited:

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the boat back yesterday. I snapped a few pictures today. we are happy with the look. The green seems almost color matched with the green trim, and it looks like it was part of the original color scheme to us.

_DSC3699 (800x532).jpg

_DSC3702 (800x532).jpg

_DSC3706 (800x532).jpg

_DSC3709 (800x532).jpg

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it out today for a test run before the weekend.
Two thing happened
1) I surprisingly did get higher WOT speeds. (not truly expected):tongue-new:
  • Running with just me in the boat before the Keelguard I got 39-41 Mph at 4700-4900 RPM.
  • Today's runs I seen consistently 42-44 Mph @ 4900 RPM

2) I now loose my depth finder at about 35Mph (Through hull transducer so there must be some air getting under there now)

So here are some pictures of it in the water.
IMG_1941 (800x600).jpg IMG_1942 (800x600).jpg

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So just an update.

My boat is in to have the keelguard replaced. I noticed on last trip that Keelguard started to pull away from the bow (just a bubble). By the end of the trip it had separated several feet and was flopping in the water.

I took it back to the shop that installed it and they are fixing it at no cost to me (they didnt even hesitate). Looking at the separation it was seperating from the KellGuard material itself and not the hull (the grey tape they use is still attached to the hull.)

I am very fortunate that my boat shop is just stepping up to the plate and working the warranty for me. I will let you know how it goes.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
tks for the update. Always a good thing for OP to come back. +Good to hear there are still some stand-up shops. :thumb:
Hey, did the extra MPH hold true or was it a one time/day deal????
huts

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Totally held true. I can constantly get those speeds (provided the guard is attached ;) ) .