Boating ownership situation.

Praught

Recruit
I Live in Ontario Canada. Today i found an awesome deal on a 12 ft fiberglass "rowing" boat that has the option to add an outboard. so I got it.
The guy I bought it off of didn't have ownership nor did the guy before him, this boat has never been registered. I want to put a motor on it and get ownership of the boat. I have no idea the make of it or any of that stuff. All I have is a bill of sale saying he sold me a homemade boat for x amount on x date, and we both signed. (he said it was homemade because he just re-fiberglassed the whole boat).
I also have a trailer I built that has yet to be registered. I'm 23 and this is my first boat..bought it to fix it up and have something I am proud of. Can anyone lend me some insight to as if I will have a hard time getting an ownership for this boat?

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating ownership situation.

There are plenty of Canadian iboaters that will likely have better info.

In the states you typically don't need to register a 12' rowboat until you put a motor on it. I live in North Carolina and bought a dinghy that had several previous owners and had never been titled/registered, and it was no big deal just to have the bill of sale (like the one you have). They did check the hull identification number to make sure it had never been registered before, and it looks like this will not be an option for you.

The best thing to do is check with whomever will register your boat in Ontario.

Good luck and Welcome to iboats!

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Ontario, boats don't have "ownership" like a trailer or car does.

As a boat owner, you can either "register" or "licence" your boat (one or the other). Registering is the more formal, normally done only for larger boats, and that's when you also apply for a name for the boat that you paint on the stern (back).

Most smaller boats are just "licenced" which is less formal, and has nothing to do with establishing ownership - basically you tell the Province what your boat is and what it looks like and they give you a licence number to put on the hull (each side of the bow(front)). The prpose is to help in identifying the boat in an emergency or search and rescue scenario.

Here are some links about how to go about it.

Bottom line - There is no "ownership" so you;re not missing anything and I don't think not knowing the Hull Identification Number (HIN) - same as a VIN for a car will prevent you from licencing it.

Don't forget - you need your pleasurecraft operators card too.

Pleasure Craft Licences: Questions and Answers - Transport Canada

Pleasure Craft Licence - Transport Canada

Applying for a Pleasure Craft Licence - Transport Canada

Operator Card (PCOC) - FAQ - Transport Canada

Pleasure Craft Requirements and Safety Information - Transport Canada

I got my operators card online, here:

Boating License & Pleasure Craft Operator Card | Boater Exam.com?

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

You will still have to prove it's your boat to license it.
There's 3 things you need to license it.
1. a completed application form;
2. proof of vessel ownership; and
3. a signed copy of a valid piece of government-issued identification. (Further information is available
on the form.)
Pretty sure if you don't use a outboard bigger than a 9.9hp,it doesn't have to licensed either...

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Need that pleasure operators coarse,plus
kids up to 12 can only operate a 10 hp and below by themselves;12-16 a 40hp above 16 years no restrictions.
Kids under 16 aren't aloud to operate a PWC jet ski type boat either.

What's still strange is if you operate a sailboat you don't need the card,atleast if you don't have a outboard attached.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

To your second item, trailer registration, as it is home made it will be fairly easy at Service Ontario to get a registration. Some simple questions like size, type of trailer and empty weight, then pay their fee and your good to go.

notop

Seaman Apprentice

You may be asking three different questions here:

You talk about registering a 12'boat. In Canada, "registration" means a formal documentation process. It costs about $1000 and is only required if your boat is over 15 tonnes. Yours isn't, so forget about registration.

Perhaps what you refer to is "licencing" a boat. This is the process where you get the licence numbers which must be displayed on the sides of the bow. You only NEED to licence a boat if it is equipped with a motor of 10hp (750kW) or more. You CAN licence a boat if it has less than 10hp on it, but you don't HAVE to. Licencing is FREE, but if your boat does not have a capacity plate on it, you will have to provide proof that you could not obtain a capacity plate from the manufacturer, and you will have to provide pictures and dimensions of the boat, including seating arrangements, etc. Also, these days the licence has to be renewed every ten years. 10hp is generally enough for a 12' boat, so unless you have a compelling reason to go bigger, I would skip the licencing and just go with a 9.9-hp.

Now, above posters have referred to an Operator's card. It's called the PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator's Card" and if you have a motor on your boat you MUST have a PCOC with you. You can obtain one from many sources including on-line. May people refer to the PCOC as a "licence" and think of it in the same way as your driver's licence for driving a car, but it is not the same. For example, if you got a DUI while boating, it would count against your car driver's licence, not your PCOC. There are no "points" that go on your PCOC, but a PCOC is good for life (does not require renewal like a regular driver's licence).

As stated above, you shouldn't have to much difficulty registering the trailer a s "U-built" if it is in good condition. Even easier if you can find the manufacturer's plate on it. You WILL need to register the trailer to get insurance on it so you can take it on the road.

Good luck.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

. You WILL need to register the trailer to get insurance on it so you can take it on the road.

This may be the case in BC as notop stated, but in Ontario there is no requirement for insurance on a trailer. Your vehicle's liability insurance covers the trailer when hooked up to the vehicle but there is no insurance per say for the trailer. You will have to register it to get a licence plate issued to the trailer but that is all that is required. I personally have separate insurance on both my boat and trailer. For the relative cheap cost, I wouldn't take the chance.

pohlerpod

Cadet

Good information but....I live in Ontario, I have a couple of boats, they are all licensed in my name with the Pleasure craft license and numbers, but the License says that "this is not a title document". Where do I go to get a form? I have tried the transport Canada web site but it always takes me back to the licensing page. I want to have a proof of vessel ownership? I have been on the phone but after waiting so long I gave up.
Any suggestions would be great, Thanks

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The title document is the bill of sale.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

pohlerpod - It is best to start your own thread rather than than hijack this one. You will get better responses that way.......
Thanks, WIMUSKY

pohlerpod

Cadet

OOPs Sorry:facepalm:, I'm new to this, Thanks for the info.

boatpoker

Seaman Apprentice

As Rallyart says, in Ontario, for a vessel such as yours the only proof of ownership is your bill of sale. Look on the upper starboard transom and see if there is a 12 characters HIN/MIC code. If you do decide to license the boat, have this code put on the license.
The code has been mandatory in the US since 1974 and in Canada since 1984.

PS. it only costs $250 to "register" 99% of boats by name in Canada and that registry is proof of ownership. if you are curious about the difference between licensing and registration, wht's a HIN, how to get a boat license or anything else to do with buying aboat your can read about it HERE

pohlerpod

Cadet

Thank you so much, boatpoker & rallyart, the information is very helpful, I wasn't sure if I should respond or not, I didn't want to get into trouble again. I do have a question for wimusky or for anyone else. Being new to forums and not understanding the hierarchy, I just assumed that if the thread that I was interested in wasn't too old that I could reply or ask a question. If this is not so then why do they have a reply button? I will have to do some reading.
Thanks
Jane