Center Console vs. Bow Rider - Advantages/Disadvantages??

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice
Still looking for the "right for us" boat....

Looking for a boat (20-25ft) to use on the bay (Chesapeake, OCMD) large-er lakes and rivers in/near PA. Boat to be used for cruising, (responsible) partying, lounging, exploring, island hopping, some minor tubing...no to little fishing.

Six adults will be max passengers, most of the time will be four adults or less.

We were thinking about a Cuddy but now leaning toward something "less massive".

Looking for advantages/disadvantages of Center Console vs. Bow Rider based on the above info.

Opinions and stories are appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Center Console vs. Bow Rider - Advantages/Disadvantages??

Not much basis for comparison- they're completely different boats.

If you want passenger seating and a 'bow rider' type boat, you'd be better off comparing a bowrider to a dual console boat, which will be built on the same hull as an equivalent center console. Soooo, the bowrider will be more plush and less suited to rough water. The dual console will have the seating capacity of the bow rider, but it'll be more 'spartan', with removable seat cushions and a 'just spray the whole thing down' interior. It'll have more freeboard and a self bailing cockpit, which the bowrider won't have.

My .02

agallant80

Commander

My stingray had a self bailing cockpit.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

My stingray had a self bailing cockpit.

Big scuppers leading water directly overboard? I could say that my Four Winns has a self-bailing cockpit, too, to the extent that rain water and spray is directed overboard via channels in the engine hatch covers and another drain near the cabin door. If I was to take a wave over her, though, I'd better have enough bilge pumps to take care of it. I don't have a self-bailing cockpit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

"Beins" you are up there in cold man's country, think winter when you want to boat. A CC will freeze you to death as there is no place to hide. A bow rider with windshield and access hatch cover, vinyl snap in cover to close off the bow compartment and keep the wind out , custom canvas top that snaps to the windshield and side curtains that attach also will make a winter day's boating a pleasurable experience. BTDT

Think about it.

Mark

aspeck

Staff member

I think you might be better off with a Dual Console. I got one and am very happy with it. It will take the chop and waves much better than a bow rider and less maintenance. Not as plush seating as was already mentioned, but for my family, that is okay. I was able to buy some padded coolers from iboats and did some removable mounting on them in the back so they can serve as seats and storage or coolers. Works for us very nicely. We can cruise, we can tube or ski, we can fish, we can go anywhere and the bimini top with full side and front curtains keeps the wind off on those early spring and late fall runs (winter runs, also) ...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

as mentioned, the most important thing is the design of the hull, and technically you can have either a cc or bowrider (br) interior in any hull. but the typical br you see in the i/o lake boats has a particular hull that may be OK on flat lakes but is not seaworthy on open water such as the Chesapeake Bay. so actually a "dual console" is a BR on a seaworthy hull.

for where you are boating and that size you should have an outboard, no question. that rules out the typical BR.

There are CC's such as the Parker that have little seating and cc's such as the sea hunt that have lots of seating, but either way, the CC has way more room than a typical br, and therefore you can get more people more comfortably in a CC of the same or smaller length, unless your people are the kind who can't tolerate anything less than sitting in a barco lounger on the water. If your people just like to sit and look, maybe a br interior but if they are the least bit active, or bring any gear with them, a cc with built in seating is way superior.

although there are plenty of similar makes, look at the seahunt website to get an idea of the comfortable, roomy, seaworthy CC's available, plus their ultra, which would be the "dual console" or seaworthy and roomy BR. My next door neighbor has one and his adult children are all over it.

avoid the "bay boat" which ironically is not good for the bay.

If the upper Chesbay is like the lower, the CC is the preferred general family boat. Some people may make the mistake of having a i/o br once but they won't buy a second one!

Bald Eagle Jones

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! Just the type of feedback I am looking for.

Anyone else?