Newbie looking for advice on a used ski boat

SnowmanPA

Cadet
Howdy! I'm looking for advice on buying a used ski boat / runabout for family use in the 2 to 4 thousand dollar range. I've never owned a boat but I'm totally competent as a mechanic.

I'm looking at inboards or I/O and I really want to know if there are any brands or models of boats or engines I need to steer clear of.

Thanks!

PS: I live in PA.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Newbie looking for advice on a used ski boat

preferably a straight inboard for skiing.

matt167

Captain

Anything OMC should be avoided except mid 90's when they had quite a bit of Volvo parts in them. I think 1995+ is basically a Volvo SX drive.

Any Ford, or Chrysler engines

Mercruiser 3.7L ( 470/488/165 all designations for the 3.7/3.7 LX )

Engines to look for would be 4.3/5.0L ( Chevy ), 5.7L, 2.5 and 3.0L's. Volvo had good engines also but their own engines will be an expensive fix

With boats, it comes down to condition. Stringers, transoms and decks NEED to be solid on a fiberglass boat for a truely safe ride..

With the $2-4k range your into the realm of nice Starcrafts. The Super Sport ( Bowrider ) and Holiday ( Closed bow runabout ) both have I/O versions and they are quite nice and were available with 3.0L 4cyls mostly. Aluminum so the only real worry is the transom. Decks carry no structural support to the boat on a tin boat, but of course you do want them solid, it's not as critical as a fiberglass boat where the deck is structural.

Last edited:

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Welcome to Iboats.

In your price range, you're going to be looking at some older boats, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
With these older boats, its all about condition. All boats, no matter their price tag when new, can deteriorate if neglected.

Ask the seller questions;
Was the boat stored inside, or at least stored with a water tight cover?
All the maintenance been done;
- Engine oil changes
- Outdrive serviced (if it's an I/O) including oil changes, removed to check the U-joints, grease the drive splines, check the gimbal bearing, and the engine alignment.
-Transmission serviced, and shaft packing checked if an inboard.
-Impeller replaced with in the last year or two? (if the seller doesn't know when it was last done, they're neglecting the maintenance since it should be done every 2-3 years).
-Fuel filter been done?
-Recent tune-up?
-How's the bilge look? Relatively clean, or a greasy mess? Any standing water in it (suggesting a leak)?

Next is looking at the boat its self. How does the hull look? Any cracking around the transom, particularly around the outdrive (if it's an I/O). Any ugly looking repairs?

The interior;
How does the upholstery look? If it's sun-baked, and cracked, you can assume the owner didn't use a cover regularly.

Recently re-upholstered? Ask why. Could have simply worn out, or could be to cover up damage from neglect.

Next is to check the deck (floor) out. Walk around all the parts of the boat making sure you try to step on all the areas. Is there any areas that feel soft under your feet? If so, chances are good there's rot and structural damage under the deck of the boat (walk away).

Has the owner recently replaced the deck? Ask him how he did it. If he tells you he ripped up the old carpet, and laid down new plywood over the old rotten deck, politely tell him to have a nice day, and walk away. He didn't fix the boat properly at all.

If he tells you he ripped up the old carpet, and deck, and just laid down the new deck with out checking the foam or stringers, again bid him good day, and walk.

If he tells you he removed the old carpet, and decking material, and checked the condition of the flotation foam and stringers (possibly replacing them), it sounds like you have a guy who knows boats.

Might want to also check out the transom, especially if it's an I/O boat. Ask the seller if the transom has been recently replaced, or checked for rot with core samples. Any signs of dark wood? Can at least tap around the transom with a rubber mallet to see if you can hear any hollow spots.

Another good thing would be having a marine surveyor involved. They are on the same idea as a home inspector, only they check over boats before people buy them.

A sea trial should be insisted upon, even if the boat's not in the water. You can offer to pay for the gas to sweeten the deal. You want to take the boat out for a good hour. See how it feels. See if any funny things happen, or funny noises. Check the oil pressure, and engine temp regularly. Check the bilge to see if water has come in. Is the bilge pump coming on more than once to clear water out (signs of a leak)?

As far as what to avoid..
Ford or Chrysler powered boats (parts are hard to find for some of these engines). A boat with an OMC outdrive (OMC went out of business 13 years ago, parts availability is spotty to non-existent). A Force L-drive (crappy odd design that lasted for a couple years, found in Bayliner brand boats, some key parts are difficult to find or unavailable new). Mercuiser 3.7L/ 470 powered boats (internal design stern drive engine by Mercury, with many bugaboo's never sorted completely out)

Last edited:

hostage

Lieutenant

Snow,

Welcome to iboats, you are a smart man for coming here first before buying a boat and asking what is wrong with it. When I was looking a few years back I started in that range and landed a $7500 boat that I put some money it, but mostly cosmetics. What part of PA are you from? Boats in that range of price can vary from 70's to early 90's. The cheaper the best the less value you get at that range in general. Generally fiberglass boats w/ IO's are cheaper and easier to come by. Open bows tend to be higher demand than cuddys. Don't buy a boat w/o a test drive first and try to bring a friend that knows more than you about boats. You can also post listings on this site and people will give you feedback on them. For every minute you spend on researching instead of jumping, will save you hours in the long run.

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice

They are out there just depends on how far you want to go i know of one around here that i looked at, i am in western new york, its a 1975 correct craft southwind 18 footer for $3000, just depends on how far you want to go.

SnowmanPA

Cadet

Hey All,

Thanks for the wealth of information. I have a question about a specific boat now. A co-worker has a mid to late 80's Cobia Monte Carlo for sale. She said it has the mercruiser 4-cylinder. She did not know the horsepower but I assume it is in the 120-150 range.

I have never heard of this model so I have no idea about it's potential problems or quality. Does anybody have any specific knowledge of this model?

Thanks!

PS: To clarify my planned use of our new boat, we will be water skiing and tubing with two young boys, not getting into competition level skiing. We are most concerned with dependability, and fuel economy, and much less with brute power. Also, our lake is quite small. Thanks!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to Iboats.

In your price range, you're going to be looking at some older boats, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
With these older boats, its all about condition. All boats, no matter their price tag when new, can deteriorate if neglected.

Ask the seller questions;
Was the boat stored inside, or at least stored with a water tight cover?
All the maintenance been done;
- Engine oil changes
- Outdrive serviced (if it's an I/O) including oil changes, removed to check the U-joints, grease the drive splines, check the gimbal bearing, and the engine alignment.
-Transmission serviced, and shaft packing checked if an inboard.
-Impeller replaced with in the last year or two? (if the seller doesn't know when it was last done, they're neglecting the maintenance since it should be done every 2-3 years).
-Fuel filter been done?
-Recent tune-up?
-How's the bilge look? Relatively clean, or a greasy mess? Any standing water in it (suggesting a leak)?

Next is looking at the boat its self. How does the hull look? Any cracking around the transom, particularly around the outdrive (if it's an I/O). Any ugly looking repairs?

The interior;
How does the upholstery look? If it's sun-baked, and cracked, you can assume the owner didn't use a cover regularly.

Recently re-upholstered? Ask why. Could have simply worn out, or could be to cover up damage from neglect.

Next is to check the deck (floor) out. Walk around all the parts of the boat making sure you try to step on all the areas. Is there any areas that feel soft under your feet? If so, chances are good there's rot and structural damage under the deck of the boat (walk away).

Has the owner recently replaced the deck? Ask him how he did it. If he tells you he ripped up the old carpet, and laid down new plywood over the old rotten deck, politely tell him to have a nice day, and walk away. He didn't fix the boat properly at all.

If he tells you he ripped up the old carpet, and deck, and just laid down the new deck with out checking the foam or stringers, again bid him good day, and walk.

If he tells you he removed the old carpet, and decking material, and checked the condition of the flotation foam and stringers (possibly replacing them), it sounds like you have a guy who knows boats.

Might want to also check out the transom, especially if it's an I/O boat. Ask the seller if the transom has been recently replaced, or checked for rot with core samples. Any signs of dark wood? Can at least tap around the transom with a rubber mallet to see if you can hear any hollow spots.

Another good thing would be having a marine surveyor involved. They are on the same idea as a home inspector, only they check over boats before people buy them.

A sea trial should be insisted upon, even if the boat's not in the water. You can offer to pay for the gas to sweeten the deal. You want to take the boat out for a good hour. See how it feels. See if any funny things happen, or funny noises. Check the oil pressure, and engine temp regularly. Check the bilge to see if water has come in. Is the bilge pump coming on more than once to clear water out (signs of a leak)?

As far as what to avoid..
Ford or Chrysler powered boats (parts are hard to find for some of these engines). A boat with an OMC outdrive (OMC went out of business 13 years ago, parts availability is spotty to non-existent). A Force L-drive (crappy odd design that lasted for a couple years, found in Bayliner brand boats, some key parts are difficult to find or unavailable new). Mercuiser 3.7L/ 470 powered boats (internal design stern drive engine by Mercury, with many bugaboo's never sorted completely out)

Heed all this advise ^^^^^^^
take photos & post them here --check everything above!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Hey All,

Thanks for the wealth of information. I have a question about a specific boat now. A co-worker has a mid to late 80's Cobia Monte Carlo for sale. She said it has the mercruiser 4-cylinder. She did not know the horsepower but I assume it is in the 120-150 range.

I have never heard of this model so I have no idea about it's potential problems or quality. Does anybody have any specific knowledge of this model?

Thanks!

PS: To clarify my planned use of our new boat, we will be water skiing and tubing with two young boys, not getting into competition level skiing. We are most concerned with dependability, and fuel economy, and much less with brute power. Also, our lake is quite small. Thanks!

Not familiar with that model. But like I said in my long drawn out previous post, with boats as old as you're gunna be looking at, brand means little. Condition, and how it has been cared for means everything.

You said it has a Mercruiser 4 cylinder. There's a couple possibilities here.
Either it has a GM based 2.5L or 3.0L engine, which while you can't write a novel about their power, they are very reliable and economical engines to run.
OR..
It has the Mercruiser designed 3.7L/470 4 cylinder, it can have some very costly issues. The charging system on those is funky and obsolete (most people choose to convert them to a regular marine alternator when they fail). The cooling system can be troublesome. If it does at any point overheat, it's almost a certainty the head gasket will blow. The water pump is driven by the camshaft, and can develop internal leaks that allow coolant into the oil.
In other words, if it's a 3.7L/470, probably best to avoid it.

SnowmanPA

Cadet

Thank you to Rogers and all the other respondents so far. My co-worker owns the boat and has for about 7-8 years but she isn't mechanically inclined and really doesn't know the details off the top of her head. She is going to research it and provide more information. I am assuming that this boat is an I/O even though she told me it is an inboard. When I pressed her for clarification, it became apparent to me that she doesn't know the difference.

I'll keep you posted!

SnowmanPA

Cadet

Hey Gang,

I've been reading all through the "newbie" posts and researching all manner of topics regarding fiberglass boats and I'm getting a little nervous about the "money pit" potential due to water damage. Several folks had posted in other threads that an aluminum boat may be a better bet in my price range--Starcraft was mentioned specifically.

That made me wonder if there are any aluminum runabouts with an I/O configuration? I've only seen them with outboards, but maybe there are some with an I/O?

Thanks again!

PS: Forgot to answer "Hostage"--I'm in western PA, 1/2 way between Erie and Pittsburgh. I will not be boating on Lake Erie :)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Yes, there are I/O powered tin boats.

However, they are still subject to some of the same folly's as a FG boat. Decks and transoms are typically wood, and rot just as easily. They still have flotation foam under the deck that can be saturated with water. Repairs on a tin boat may be easier, since they usually don't have wooden stringers to worry about.

But we're trying to help you find a boat that needs no structural repairs. A cream puff, that the owner took pride in, and looked after. ;)

aspeck

Staff member

Hey Snowman, Bandit here (Sorry, couldn't resist, and I do have the car ...). It depends on how patient you are. You are at the right time to pick up a boat cheaper ... easier to sell her than put her away for the winter ... so if you are patient, you just might find the boat you are looking for. You might want to expand your looking to an outboard also. If you want the I/O or inboard because you are familiar with car engines, well, there is a little difference between a car engine and a marine engine. But if you are familiar with car engines and are a half decent wrench, there are lots of talented guys on here that can talk you through any repair and make you look like an expert.

Outboards TEND to be easier and cheaper to maintain that I/O's or inboards. And from the sounds of your desired usage, would fit your bill nicely ... they have more power for less weight.

Just trying to help you keep your options open for the best deal possible.

SnowmanPA

Cadet

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for continually answering my questions. The "Admiral" has made it clear that she has no use for aluminum or outboards. She grew up with a Supra and really prefers the inboards because of the clean and uncluttered "deck" (swim platform) on the back of the boat. She is not entirely against an I/O as long as it has a nice clean swim platform and a ladder. We have seen a FourWinns with a full-width, fiberglass swim platform over the outdrive that she likes. There is also a good looking 86 Supra at a marina near us for under $4000.

That brings me to my next question--pertaining to maintenance this time. I've researched the whole bellows replacement deal on the I/O's and it is definitely within my capability to do that, although it clearly doesn't look like a "fun" job. (But I've done my own timing belt replacement on my wife's Honda Odyssey as well as on my Volvo S60--it can't be worse than that...)

So the question is what type of routine maintenance does an inboard require that is specific to inboards? Am I right to assume that an inboard doesn't have a bellows arrangement like an I/O? I'm guessing there must be some type of water seal for the prop shaft and the rudder, right? Is that something that needs replacement as often as the bellows on an I/O? Is it an easier job or is there something that makes it harder?

I realize these are very broad questions, and the answers may vary depending on which particular brand of inboard we are talking about. So, to put the question another way...in general, does an inboard or an I/O have a clear advantage over the other in terms of the amount and complexity of maintenance required?

Thank you again!

Ted (Snowman)

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice

On an inboard i personally think that it is easier to access the motor to work on than an i/o because it is in the middle of your boat and you have 360 degrees of access to it asummeing it is a straight inboard and not a v drive, then the v drive is still where a I/O motor is.

on an inboard you do have a sealer for your prop shaht and rudder shaft. The Shaft and rudder both have what is called a stuffing box which has a piece of what looks like rope but is designed for a stuffing box with a rubber boot between the stuffing box and the hull of your boat.

A inboard does not have the same belows setup as a I/O but do have rubber exhaust tubes that run to the transom of the boat which are alot easier to replace that a belows of I\O but can sink your boat just as fast, same is true with the stuffing box, if the boot right before the box lets loose that will also sink your boat pretty quick also.

MY personal opinion is that a inboard is easier to work on than an I\O and you can still get parts for them very readily as i own a 1976 correct craft southwind with a 351 cleveland motor and parts are pretty easy to find, and working on it is a dream

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice

Also your stuffing box shouldn't leak when in neutral but when in gear it should leak about one drop every 5 secs or so if not you will burn your shaft, because the water is what lubricates your shaft, if it doesn't leak it means that the nut that holds the stuffing in the box is to tight and you need to loosen that so it drips a little under way.stuffing.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

For the cash you want to spend, I think a true inboard ski boat might be asking for trouble. Those boats are rather pricey and a cheap on might not be turn key. I think you would do better finding a "cream puff" outboard or I/O, so much more to chose from. It can take a while to sort out the junk, but if you take your time, and don't get attached to any one boat, you will find one.