Question about Teleflex rack steering ID

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I have a 2002 Larson 210 OB with the back mount single cable rack system by Teleflex. The cable is SSC13417/17 ft. The boat was rated for 175 HP, and I have a Black Max 150 HP on there now.

I'm trying to verify if this setup is NFB? I can't find any "NFB" ID on the unit, just "back mount."

I wanted to verify because I may replace the unit as the steering has gotten a little stiffer and I'd like to freshen it up. I looks to be 3 turns from lock to lock.

It also has about a quarter turn of play in the wheel before engaging in either direction and the wheel does stay put when on plane -- but just wanted to verify or make sure that I have a NFB system and not just stiff steering?

Would it have been standard industry practice to put NFB steering on V-6 OBs in 2002?

Thanks for any help in IDing if this is a NFB unit I have on there!

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Question about Teleflex rack steering ID

I doubt it is NFB. Those were rare in 2002 and would have been a big upgrade on a larson. That part of the system is in the helm itself. Based on your description a new cable will probably make life a whole lot nicer.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I doubt it is NFB. Those were rare in 2002 and would have been a big upgrade on a larson. That part of the system is in the helm itself. Based on your description a new cable will probably make life a whole lot nicer.

Bob,

If I decided to drop in a new NFB system (my current setup has tilt steering), would I be able to mix and match the tilt component on the new NFB helm?

With the entire system not costing that much more than just the cable, I'd be inclined to do it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Call teleflex and ask ;)

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I popped the steering wheel and once the wheel was off, lo and behold under the wheel it says that the helm is a NFB helm. I guess Larson did put NFB on their bigger boats in '02 -- or some of them at least.

I went ahead and ordered the NFB system from iboats earlier today, so I'll just go ahead and swap everything out when it gets here. I also took the tilt mechanism off, as well as the 45 deg bezel.

I don't really need the tilt steering as 45 deg is my default anyway, so will just make the call on whether to keep that or not once the new system arrives. Will keep posted.

Thanks!

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I popped the steering wheel and once the wheel was off, lo and behold under the wheel it says that the helm is a NFB helm. I guess Larson did put NFB on their bigger boats in '02 -- or some of them at least.

I went ahead and ordered the NFB system from iboats earlier today, so I'll just go ahead and swap everything out when it gets here. I also took the tilt mechanism off, as well as the 45 deg bezel.

I don't really need the tilt steering as 45 deg is my default anyway, so will just make the call on whether to keep that or not once the new system arrives. Will keep posted.

Thanks!

Fed

Commander

While you're waiting with the motor down disconnect the drag link at the motor tiller & make sure the motor is very easy to turn from side to side by hand.

CWKboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did check the motor's pivoting with the steering link loosened, and no issues there as it moves free and easy.

Interestingly, I did confirm that in fact the helm is the standard tilt rack, and not the NFB. Even though the boot on the separate Tilt mechanism says "NFB" on the outer boot, the helm is clearly the standard rack as it doesn't have the clutch-type housing in front of the cable mount like the NFB helms do.

I'm likely not going to be able to use the non-tilt helm on this boat, and will have to stick with the tilt as it gives more clearance from the dash as it has more length. The dash is recessed where the steering assembly mounts, so the extra length that the tilt provides is actuallty needed.

I guess that gives more creedence to the idea of staying with the original equipment..

Last edited: