volvo penta 275 wont unlock

bobcox_54

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta 275 I can trim down just fine but when I try to trim up to put on the trailer I have to get water and manually unlock it while someone holds the trim up. What could be my issue.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: volvo penta 275 wont unlock

Thats a mechanical system. Theres a rod, that unlocks the reverse dogs, when the tilt is used. That system doesnt have trim, only tilt. If you trimed it up while over 1000 rpms, you could have damaged the unit. This also should be in the Volvo section, and get a Factory service manual.

Besides that, Welcome to IBoats.

greekfreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: volvo penta 275 wont unlock

Yes it has a eletro-mechanical tilt,,, When it's all the way down and locked the push rod from the tilt mechanism pushes on a plunger, which pushes on a link, which releases the arm so it can unlock and raise. If your tilt motor is weak, or you need to adjust the tension spring in the tilt unit, or if your push rod is bent which happens often, that may be the issue... Trust me they bend easily... use tilt unlocked and up at idle only. There is no "trim" on this while running.. If the drive jumps up and comes down the shaft will bend and they are not cheap...yes get a manual

Last edited: