Teleflex replacement helm. Am I understanding this correctly?

kentuckydiesel

Seaman Apprentice
I've been a little concerned about the wife driving our boat. Every time a wake is crossed at an angle, there is a ton of feedback through the steering wheel from the twin Johnson 70s. Currently have a Teleflex single cable rack and pinion steering setup and just came across something on iboats that seems like it could help...but not on pre-97 stuff?

Teleflex Back Mount Rack & Pinion Steering Helms, Standard And No Feedback - iboats

It appears that if I have a 1997 or later rack, I can just buy a new "no feedback" helm and it will bolt to my existing teleflex rack setup. Is this correct?

If it is a pre-1997 (I'm guessing it's probably from around 1993), is my only option to replace the entire setup if I want less feedback to the steering wheel?

Thanks,
Phillip

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Teleflex replacement helm. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yep, I would change the entire unit. Fresh helm, NFB and fresh cables would be a nice improvement. are you running a single or dual cable system now? You might consider a dual cable

kentuckydiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Currently have a single cable setup. Does the dual cable put a cable to each engine or does it still go to one engine? Thanks,
Phillip

cr2k

Captain

The dual cable system will go to a common point on the engines and operate both in tandem. For your total HP a dual system is recommended. You have the ability to adjust each cable so it can be made slop free.