• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much "Transom Flex" is too much...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much "Transom Flex" is too much...

OK, I have spent the last 2 weeks reading all the repair and rebuild postings, and what is involved in replacing stringers and transoms... so now I may just be paranoid... but I must ask the question.

So I was able to get out on the water today myself with my 1986 Bayliner 18' fiberglass bass boat (125 hp Force)... and I noticed that every time I gave it a little gas, there was movement of the engine, and the transome itself 'flexed' or moved a little...

I would make a guess that the movement or flexing was maybe 1/2 to 1 inch? (watching it from 5 feet away as I worked the controls) Is this normal, or do I need to pull my decks and start drilling core samples?
    A bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!

You can fish all you want in Iowa, if you want to Catch something you will have to go elsewhere!

Mark

Re: How much "Transom Flex" is too much...

That would be 1/2 to 1" too much flex, sorry to say.
    Bob, Orange County NY
    '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
    Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
    Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Originally posted by NYBo View Post
      That would be 1/2 to 1" too much flex, sorry to say.
      Well crap... I was afraid of that... guess I am glad I was on a 'no wake' lake, and did not find out how much flex & give (or lack of give) it might have with a hole shot to WOT!

You can fish all you want in Iowa, if you want to Catch something you will have to go elsewhere!

Mark

Comment

i dunno bout everyone else but if i can stand at the controls and SEE that the engine is moving at all it's too much
        Building "The Hulk": http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ge-621881.html

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	038a2cf13b5502d424f6cab0dc1b46fc.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	169359Click image for larger version

Name:	fe4a72ddf6b6a2c07b75e7148f56e06e.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	165997Click image for larger version

Name:	eba0f963300245f3e9d970ac961f8d6c.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	165362Click image for larger version

Name:	ca32d91bc41b0931eaf68a323893cad6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	45304Click image for larger version

Name:	26c58a4d8d9cb32e8c8f6126c4156de7.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	62743

On an 18 footer, there should be NO flex of the transom. Just to be certain, while the boat is on the trailer and with the engine vertical, stand on the anti-ventilation plate and bounce. You should see NO transom movement.

Now if your transom IS flexing, I have had very good luck with capping it with aluminum and tying it into the splashwell. Beats taking the boat apart for repair. Done correctly, you will have a stronger transom than the original

I also have had very satisfactory results with Git-Rot.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Acampora View Post

Name:	038a2cf13b5502d424f6cab0dc1b46fc.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	169359Click image for larger version

Name:	fe4a72ddf6b6a2c07b75e7148f56e06e.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	165997Click image for larger version

ID:	165362Click image for larger version

Name:	ca32d91bc41b0931eaf68a323893cad6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	45304Click image for larger version

Name:	26c58a4d8d9cb32e8c8f6126c4156de7.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	62743

On an 18 footer, there should be NO flex of the transom. Just to be certain, while the boat is on the trailer and with the engine vertical, stand on the anti-ventilation plate and bounce. You should see NO transom movement.

Now if your transom IS flexing, I have had very good luck with capping it with aluminum and tying it into the splashwell. Beats taking the boat apart for repair. Done correctly, you will have a stronger transom than the original

I also have had very satisfactory results with Git-Rot.

that engine cover is beautiful
            Building "The Hulk": http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...ge-621881.html

Comment

Normal-- no, not at all. Now time to check the stringers.

Originally posted by mbhoag View Post
              OK, I have spent the last 2 weeks reading all the repair and rebuild postings, and what is involved in replacing stringers and transoms... so now I may just be paranoid... but I must ask the question.

So I was able to get out on the water today myself with my 1986 Bayliner 18' fiberglass bass boat (125 hp Force)... and I noticed that every time I gave it a little gas, there was movement of the engine, and the transome itself 'flexed' or moved a little...

I would make a guess that the movement or flexing was maybe 1/2 to 1 inch? (watching it from 5 feet away as I worked the controls) Is this normal, or do I need to pull my decks and start drilling core samples?
              EdgeWater 205 EX
              Yamaha 150
              2012 Dodge Hemi

Comment

What is the stringers?

Comment

Originally posted by 12thManFalseStart View Post
                  What is the stringers?
                  The supporting structure that goes under the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by 12thManFalseStart View Post
                    What is the stringers?
                    1st,,, any soft spots on the floor? OK,,, stringers are what supports the hull, fore & aft AND port & starboard. They also support the floor and everything above it. Very often if rot is found in the transom, stringers, or floor it will be found in more than one area.
                    EdgeWater 205 EX
                    Yamaha 150
                    2012 Dodge Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by crabby captain john View Post
                      1st,,, any soft spots on the floor? OK,,, stringers are what supports the hull, fore & aft AND port & starboard. They also support the floor and everything above it. Very often if rot is found in the transom, stringers, or floor it will be found in more than one area.
                      I'm not sure how to check the floor. Can't really get to it except for a small hole in the very back. I mean, the v hull of the floor, where the water drains out is a small square cut out about 10 by 10 inches. The floor you stand on is solid.

Comment

You have jumped in with both feet buddy, you need to spend some time in the repair and restoration section of this forum, you will be amazed at how much you will learn, there is a lot more to a boat, than just buying and putting in the water, spend some time reading and learn.

Comment

I am fully aware of what & where stringers, transom and bulkheads are.

I did take a look at things and grab a couple of pictures. It is hard to see in Pics, but it looks like the PO had sealed up a couple of stress cracks where transom meets splashwell with some sort of silicone...I've had the boat 3 years and never really looked that close! (that was silly of me I know).

Also, you can see a slight bowing of the transom under the weight of the motor. I had noticed this before, but thought It was normal with a several hundred pound motor attached.

Last, is a very shaky video... it is hard to hold phone, video and wiggle motor at same time... but if you look closely you can see some 'give' in the transom as motor moves.

It may be a week or two before I can get started, but looks like I will be adding a teardown and restoration thread of my own to the forum. I wanted to remove and reconfigure my decks anyways, and add more storage space

Video
                          Last edited by mbhoag; August 14th, 2013, 10:07 PM.

Mark

Comment

Fix it right. Don't spend a bunch of time and money trying to slap some aluminum on it to make it "good enough". Good enough isn't good enough when it comes to everyone who is gonna ever get on your boats lives. No there is no way to do it correctly. (Sorry it's true) AND NO you will not have a transom stronger than it was originally. That's completely not true and (yep this one is harsh) demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of boat construction.

To all the LEO's, Coasties etc who frequent this forum- Anytime you see a boat with an aluminum plate on the transom, the boats owner fully understands that their vessels is unsafe to operate. These are the first people you should stop and do a safety check on because they have already demonstrated a complete lack of concern for safety.

It's not that hard to fix right and there are a bunch of people here that have done it and will guide you through it.
                            sigpic1982 Baja 16ss

Comment

Name:	f4c790cd9e15206edc3d9134492d6d41.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	98431Click image for larger version

Name:	1e025e4bfe90fafea140216cfd042474.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	97381Click image for larger version

ID:	165362

In this instance DONT listen to NSBCcraig: With your Chrysler/Force, the engine clamps tend to bite into and deform the transom fiberglass. Eventually this causes the trim cylinder ram to move off the stainless seat on the steering yoke and trim will not work. The ram will simply move in free air, not against the yoke.

With your engine it is absolutely essential for continued good performance to use a minimum.080 thick hard aluminum plate on the outside of the transom, under the clamps. Do not go too thick or the transom clamp screws will no longer fit over the transom.

Usually, if you have repaired the transom, a plate about 16 by 16 inches is plenty large. You will need to drill a drain hole in it to match the splashwell drain hole in the transom.
                              Last edited by Frank Acampora; July 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X