1999 Javelin 19 FS Motor Height Prop Ventilation

NCBoater123

Cadet
I just purchased a 99 Javelin 19 foot fish & ski with a Johnson 175. I love the boat, it is in almost new condition.

The only problem is the hole shot is terrible. When the boat planes out the motor revs up and the prop blows out, then it will catch up to itself.

Does anyone have this boat with the similar issue?

What is the correct motor height?

Right now mine is set to the next to highest setting on the motor. I was going to lower the motor, thinking it would grab better?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1999 Javelin 19 FS Motor Height Prop Ventilation

A picture showing the position of the anti-cavitation plate in relation to the bottom of the transom would help.

NCBoater123

Cadet

i just purchased a 99 javelin 19 foot fish & ski with a johnson 175. I love the boat, it is in almost new condition.

The only problem is the hole shot is terrible. When the boat planes out the motor revs up and the prop blows out, then it will catch up to itself.

Does anyone have this boat with the similar issue?

What is the correct motor height?

Right now mine is set to the next to highest setting on the motor. I was going to lower the motor, thinking it would grab better?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

a friend of mine said that i need to plug some or all of the vent holes in the prop. Its a raker 14 1/2x 22. What can i plug the prop with?

NCBoater123

Cadet

The center of my prop shaft was 3.5 inches below the bottom of the lowest part of my boat. I just lowered it to 4.25 inches below. I would still like to be able to plug the vent holes incase this does not work but after all of the reading that I have done it sounds like I am going to have to buy a new prop if infact it is cavitation and not ventilation. I have a friend that is very good with props and has done a ton of research. I guess it is a huge process to get it to perform at its best. I guess I need to find out where my RPM's are at and start from there. My owners manual says WOT range it between 4500 and 5500. My current prop is a raker 14.5 x 22.

NCBoater123

Cadet

The center of my prop shaft was 3.5 inches below the bottom of the lowest part of my boat. I just lowered it to 4.25 inches below. I would still like to be able to plug the vent holes incase this does not work but after all of the reading that I have done it sounds like I am going to have to buy a new prop if infact it is cavitation and not ventilation. I have a friend that is very good with props and has done a ton of research. I guess it is a huge process to get it to perform at its best. I guess I need to find out where my RPM's are at and start from there. My owners manual says WOT range it between 4500 and 5500. My current prop is a raker 14.5 x 22.

NCBoater123

Cadet

I lowered the motor 3/4 of an inch and replaced the Raker 22 with a Raker 25 and it handles like a dream! Top speed is 62.7 GPS. Take off is I tiny bit slow and the prop still blows out slightly. I am going to plug one vent at a time until I get it right.