mounting a ladder to aluminum boat????

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need help with mounting a ladder to a 1964 Mirror Craft Ski n Troll. It is a aluminum hull with no leaks! I need to drill holes into the hull to mount the ladder. The question is how do I seal the holes properly and mount the ladder? I think I am being a little gun shy... I am going to make it so I can remove the ladder when it is not in use. I will use pins with the brackets permanently mounted to the boat. Thanks for the help!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: mounting a ladder to aluminum boat????

Stainless steel bolts, 3m5200 or 4000 series on the bolt holes and make sure you properly back your mounting points. You can use 3/4" plywood or large flat pieces of aluminum or stainless steel. You want the load to be spread out and not focused on one spot.

Watch a person go up a boat ladder while at the local swimming area...... people swing their weight on the ladder so you want the mounts sturdy to support the load. The sidewall aluminum on your boat is THIN..... good luck

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

where is there room on a Mirro Ski-n-troll for a ladder?

the hull is not that wide, and the transom is not very high. make sure you have room with your OB prior to mounting.

As Bob_VT pointed out. 3M 5200 will seal it. make sure your thru the transom board. mounting it any lower and your below the water line anyway. If backing lower with plywood. do not use treated plywood. the chemicals in treated wood will eat thru the aluminum hull.

we used to just hang a folding swim ladder over the gunnel on our ski-n-troll one from fleet farm to be specific

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I mounted mine to the transom on my Tracker, used #14 SS sheet metal screws into the transom wood for a very solid installation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Jigngrub, the ski-n-troll transom would be between the transom eyes on your Tracker and from the OB well to the keel. It was 63" wide, and only about 17" high if I remember.

Dad sold the ski-n-troll for his BT III one post bringing back many memories

Last edited:

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey everyone sorry I havent responded but I just havent found the time to do this project yet. Hopefully this weekend! Jigngrub, That is the exact ladder I am going to mount and I think i will follow your lead as to where to place the ladder. I will post pics when done.

Thanks all for your help!! I would not have thought to do a backing plate of some sort.....