stinky water in ski cubby

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a hole coming into to my ski cubby that lets stinking water in from.the motor area. This is on a 1999 srarcraft i\o. Should that water be getting in there? Can i seal that shut? What water should be moving forward if any. I saw a little water around my battery too.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: stinky water in ski cubby

Ski lockers below deck typically have that hole to drain water out of the locker into the bilge. It can cause backup when the boat is slowed shifting any bilge water fore to the locker. Sealing it would likely result in any residual locker water sitting stagnant. Best bet is to manage any incoming bilge water into the boat. Is it more than ski water runoff? Where is it coming from?

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral

You want any water that gets below to be able to reach the bilge pump(s), so, no, you shouldn't seal up the limber hole. Moosehead has it right: Find out what's leaking and fix the problem. Also ensure your bilge pump is working properly, and consider installing an automatic float switch if uyou don't already have one.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

If the water is stinky,ya need to thourghly clean the bilge,and find the keak. If its oily water,you need to find the oil leak's,if ya pump it overboard,and I see it,I'll report it.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

My 1997 Starcraft had stinky water also. I just cleaning up the ski locker area and bilge with soap and mild bleach. I then flushed it out. You should have seen the old food(that is what it looked and smelled like), wrapers, gum, etc., from the previous owner. I then lifted the front of the boat, so the water could drain, and placed it in the sun along with a fan.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to tell to try and find the leak. From your post it sounds like it was old water if it was "stinky."

Last edited:

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I will check for leaks. I dont think there is that much water coming in the boat just from us. The motor was just installed so no oil leaks, just old stuff under the floor. Do I just have to have the key on and lift the float to test the automatic blilge? I do have the switch for it but it also operates automatic with the switch off? When I feel in that hole in the ski caddy if feels like I can feel the gas tank. Is under the floor all sloped back to the bilge. If I run the boat with faucet flappers I should be able to check for leaks in my plumbing. If its not leaking there I will have to start looking elsewhere.

UncleWillie

Captain

The Auto Pump should operate with the Ignition and the Key OFF.
The pump will not come on until there is ~3 inches of water at the Float and will leave ~2 inches when it shuts off.
The pump is there for when Incidental Water, Rain, Splash, Spray, Drips become excessive.
It will never empty the bilge and will not save you from sinking if you have real damage.

If the Boat is on a Trailer it is often easier to get the bilge Clean and Dry, Totally Dry....
If you lower the tongue and let the water come forward into the Ski Locker.
It is much easier to Scoop, Sponge and Towel up the very last drop.

Unless there is a valid reason that water is in the Bilge, Like you just recovered a Soaking Wet Towable Tube,
There is no reason to ever have any water whatsoever in the bilge.

The Bilge becomes a Sauna. This is the primary reason that 10-15 year old boats have rotten stringers and floors and stink!

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That all makes sense. I am new to boating so still learning. So when it goes forward is it a skinny pvc tube that takes it to the ski caddy or is it open under the gas tank and such to get to the caddy?

eavega

Lieutenant

If the Boat is on a Trailer it is often easier to get the bilge Clean and Dry, Totally Dry....
If you lower the tongue and let the water come forward into the Ski Locker.
It is much easier to Scoop, Sponge and Towel up the very last drop.

Way I get the last possible drop out of the bilge when the boat is on the trailer; With the boat tilted bow up, run a towel or paper towel through bilge drain, make sure the end of the towel in the boat settles as low as possible in the bilge. make sure the end of the towel hanging outside the boat is lower than the end in the bilge. Capillary action will draw the water through the towel and out the drain. Gravity will allow the water to drain through the towel and onto the ground. You leave the towel in overnight, and the bilge is dry by the morning.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Stinky water in Ski Cuddy

Re: Stinky water in Ski Cuddy

That all makes sense. I am new to boating so still learning. So when it goes forward is it a skinny pvc tube that takes it to the ski caddy or is it open under the gas tank and such to get to the caddy?

There is a short piece of tubing passing through each bulkhead. (Limber Holes)
The area under the Fuel Tank is open and needs to drain as much as any other compartment.
Pass a 3-4 foot dowel through it to make sure it is a clear passage.

If you are starting with a lot of stinky water, the Garboard Plug should always be be out when on land, if not already, remove it.
Crank the Bow all the way up.
Take a garden hose into the boat and Power Flush the Ski Locker, The Limber Tubes, and the Bilge area under the engine.
Some Dish-washing Soap and a little bleach is justified.
Small pieces of debris are the #1 reason bilge pumps get clogged and fail.
Flush everything you can, out the Garboard Drain.

While you are at it, fill the bilge with water to make sure the Bilge Pump is actually working, don't be surprised at the amount of water it takes before the Pump actually come ON. It is a Lot!

When finished get it all dry, COMPLETELY DRY!

P.S. I think the word you are looking for is CUDDY, not Cubby or Caddy.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great advice guys. I will have to check the passage way. It seems it be easier to close that ski locker hole and just wipe it out when done. That way that old crud wouldn't keep coming forward. I will flush with the hose and see what comes out. I like the towel trick. So is there usually open compartments under the whole boat for water to fall into?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Do we just assume the worst of people on the water these days?

No,I didn't mean to come off as an a** but I've seen a few that got ticketed for dumping oily water in the lake. One even proceded to leave leave the harbor,and turned on his bilge to pump out the mess and never came back. There are a few who think the world ows them something,so I guess I assumed the worst. Sorry......:tape2::tape2:

UncleWillie

Captain

Great advice guys. I will have to check the passage way. It seems it be easier to close that ski locker hole and just wipe it out when done. That way that old crud wouldn't keep coming forward. I will flush with the hose and see what comes out. I like the towel trick. So is there usually open compartments under the whole boat for water to fall into?

Yes! All the compartments are open to each other.

The idea is that, while underway, with the bow up, no matter where the water enters, it will eventually make its way back to the bilge pump. When enough accumulates, it gets dumped overboard.

Once you get it all cleaned up, there will be NO "Old Crud" to come forward. Just new water that has only been there for less than a day.
The engine compartment will have all the drips from your swimmers and the forward compartments will have the spray and splash.
Plugging the holes risks capturing a lot of water forward if you ever get caught in heavy seas.
You will appreciate it running back to the pump in that case.

Don't try to redesign the boat.
50 years of other peoples mistakes were been taken into account when the decision to connect all the compartments together was made.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replies. I will check for leaks. I dont think there is that much water coming in the boat just from us. The motor was just installed so no oil leaks, just old stuff under the floor. Do I just have to have the key on and lift the float to test the automatic blilge? I do have the switch for it but it also operates automatic with the switch off? When I feel in that hole in the ski caddy if feels like I can feel the gas tank. Is under the floor all sloped back to the bilge. If I run the boat with faucet flappers I should be able to check for leaks in my plumbing. If its not leaking there I will have to start looking elsewhere.
You want to keep that area as dry as possible. On my '87 Starcraft the gas tank rests on a sheet of plywood so you don't want it sitting in standing water or it will eventually rot. You can also use a scissors jack under the trailer tongue to raise the boat high enough to let it all drain.

Last edited:

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great info guys. Worked today and I'm pooped so I will try to check stuff and rinse tommorrow. I did check the slope on the bottom of the hull and with the jack all the way up it slopes all the way to the back so that's good news I don't have to jack higher. Thanks for all the replies.:joyous: