Can you connect a portable gas can to my boats existing fuel gauge?

climb29028

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone.

I want to replace my above deck built in fuel tank with portable 5 gallon fuel tanks and was wondering if I can connect my existing built in fuel gauge (which is mounted in the dash of my boat) to the new portable fuel tanks? I have a 16' Double Eagle fiberglass boat.

delta229

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can you connect a portable gas can to my boats existing fuel gauge?

Your built in fuel gauge requires a sending unit that has a specific OHM rating at full scale. Having two external tanks would require that each have the right level sensor and that they be wired through a selector switch to the gauge.

UncleWillie

Captain

The real question would be WHY?

The Built in Tank is likely larger to begin with.
As each tank went empty you would need to move the fuel line to the next full tank.
The portable tanks already have a fuel gauge built in that you can just look at.
When you get to the last tank it is time to head for port.
Hooking up the Electric fuel senders and grounds means the tanks are not exactly portable anymore.

Where is the advantage as you see it?

climb29028

Seaman Apprentice

The real question would be WHY?

The Built in Tank is likely larger to begin with.
As each tank went empty you would need to move the fuel line to the next full tank.
The portable tanks already have a fuel gauge built in that you can just look at.
When you get to the last tank it is time to head for port.
Hooking up the Electric fuel senders and grounds means the tanks are not exactly portable anymore.

Where is the advantage as you see it?

I actually don't mind having the built in tank but the problem I have is that it is mounted right over top of my bilge and I can't get access to the bilge to clean it etc.

climb29028

Seaman Apprentice

I actually like the built in fuel tank idea but the problem I have is that it is mounted right over my bilge so I can't get access to my bilge to clean it properly and keep it dry etc.