New ski boat - questions to ask the owner? what are your thoughts on the boat?

I am going to do a water test tomorrow on a Mastercraft 1998 Pro Star 205. 640 hours.The current owner has owned it for three years and does all his own maintenance. What questions do you suggest I ask the owner about the boat and maintenance? I want to make sure I ask the right questions to get a proper sense of whether this boat will be reliable and was well taken care of. Reliability is of paramount importance to me.

here is the link to the boat - what are your thoughts?

1998 Master Craft PS205. - Ontario Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New ski boat - questions to ask the owner? what are your thoughts on the boat?

Prostars are tremendous ski boats, a close friend has the 190. The 205 with open bow is much more friendly for extra passengers epecially when a tow rope takes out the rear seat occupancy. It would be even more versatile with a tower both for wakeboarding (may need to add ballast to boost a smaller slalom wake) and importanly, watertoy storage.

If maintained these will run deep into many hours of use. Ask what the owner's maintenance rituals are, how the boat has been stored in both on and off seasons. I'm less facile with inboard maintenance, but the guys on the balll of spray forum are great sources of info as they live and breath these towboats, just don't post the sale listing there as someone else will buy it out from under you if a good deal.

Last edited:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New ski boat - questions to ask the owner? what are your thoughts on the boat?

deleted

Last edited:

captain_ron

Seaman Apprentice

From what I can tell from the pics looks like a nice clean boat.... That being said during the water test but the boat through its paces what exact maintence did he do how did he winterize it ? Has he done it personally or a shop and if it was a shop get the receipts and/or records.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are only 2 questions you need to ask a seller. When can you do a water test and when can you have it surveyed by a marine surveyor.
Sellers tend to answer a question with whatever they think will help them sell the boat.

oldjeep

Admiral

Wow, that seems super cheap $18,500 ?

salty87

Commander

have you ever driven an inboard direct drive before?

the 205 hull was the basis for the original xstar model which is widely considered one of the best wakeboarding hulls made. if it was a vdrive (i'm fairly sure mastercraft made the 205 in a vdrive in '98) it would certainly go for more $.

inspect the bilge, if an owner can't clean the obvious they probably ignored other items. look under the seats, is it clean or dirty and moldy?

run the boat for at least 30 mins. how is the steering?...should be able to move the steering wheel in both directions with 1 finger. any vibration from the driveline?...should be none. gauges all work? do all of the switches work?

after the engine is fully warm, turn it off and sit for 5 mins. will it re-start w/o hesitation?

there really isn't too much that can go wrong with a direct drive inboard provided it's been winterized correctly. you'll know once you get it fully warmed up if it wasn't winterized properly or there are any cooling issues. the transmissions don't normally have problems unless they aren't aligned and then you'll feel vibrations through the steering wheel.

looks like it could potentially be a good deal.

salty87

Commander

how'd it go?

The questions posted here were very helpful. I did a water test and for a number of reasons decided to pass on the boat. I am still looking, thanks all.

bid1103

Cadet

I am going to do a water test tomorrow on a Mastercraft 1998 Pro Star 205. 640 hours.The current owner has owned it for three years and does all his own maintenance. What questions do you suggest I ask the owner about the boat and maintenance? I want to make sure I ask the right questions to get a proper sense of whether this boat will be reliable and was well taken care of. Reliability is of paramount importance to me.

here is the link to the boat - what are your thoughts?

1998 Master Craft PS205. - Ontario Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

trust me that is the wrong choice best ski boat your ever gonna find is a moomba boomerang trust me it is a beautiful boat reaches 50mph+ easily a very smart buy in my opinion

oldjeep

Admiral

trust me that is the wrong choice best ski boat your ever gonna find is a moomba boomerang trust me it is a beautiful boat reaches 50mph+ easily a very smart buy in my opinion

Any ski boat does 50mph +

QC

Supreme Mariner

No direct drive or v-drive tournament ski boats or wakeboard boats do 50 MPH. All are locked in at about 46 MPH max regardless of horsepower. Look it up ;)

bid1103

Cadet

generally yes but it will easily go past that i drive one myself and i can promise you it goes faster than newer ski boats it also looks a lot better personally i think it was the best ski boat ever made

bid1103

Cadet

i promise you it goes 50+ i own one mabye the newer ski boats but not the 2000 and under ski boats

bid1103

Cadet

ive skiied behind lots of other boats and yes ski nautiques are an mechanic masterpeice and produce a better wake than a boomerang would for water skiing the boomerang is such a good quality boat the new outback also is a very good boat and would suprise you

QC

Supreme Mariner

Check the stats here: www.boattest.com

bid1103

Cadet

the boat is too old isnt on boat test

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, still don't believe it ;) I've watched these specs since I was 12, I am 53 . . .

bid1103

Cadet

hahaha okay man next time i get going that quick i will take a picture of the speedo with the boat in the picture i understand what your saying because it makes sense but mastercraft ski boats go 60mph ive seen it before on a radar gun at a water ski show