Bayliner or Regal for my first boat

antmay

Cadet
Hi,
I have narrow down to 2 boats that's within my budget and would like some advice as
to which one to get.

I am choosing between the 1994 bayliner 2855 and Regal Ventura 27.5 SC

Please provide some advice and insight on my first boat. The boat is to be used in lake erie.

Thanks,
Anthony

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Bayliner or Regal for my first boat

Almost 20 year old boat - all depends on the condition

southkogs

Staff member

Especially because you want to be on big water, it depends on which is in better shape.

tpenfield

Staff member

Regal is the brand held in higher regard by many, but as the others have said, the condition of those particular boats is what matters.

I hope your will be having a marine surveyor inspect the boat as a condition of the purchase.

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Consider having the Regal surveyed and a technician go over the motors. If you want to pick between two-- find a replacement for the Bayliner.

captain_ron

Seaman Apprentice

Honestly get them both inspected on a personal side id go with the regal but then again not much of a regal fan

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would skip the Bayliner.

Air Traffic

Seaman Apprentice

Like many have said, condition is the key. In like condition you are comparing something like a Ford to a Mercury, with the Regal being the Merc. However after 18-20 it's not so much the original build as the upkeep on each boat. Bayliners developed a very poor reputation for a few years but IMHO have come back with a descent boat in thier price level. My marina has plenty of old Bayliners that are in better shape than similiar model year SeaRays, Regals, Chaperals, etc and vice versa. Have someone in the know look them over, especially the items that would be high cost fixes and then decide.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Survey!!!!! Get a survey!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bayliners developed a very poor reputation for a few years but IMHO have come back with a descent boat in thier price level.
And early 90s was in those poor years.

antmay

Cadet

Thanks everyone for their input. The regal is in good shape but motor has about 700 hours on it. The bayliner motor was replaced new a season ago with only 25 hours on it. The upholstery was also replaced, so I am leaning towards the bayliner for now. I am going to see it this Saturday and will get a surveyer if I like what I see.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

with those two to choose from I'd find a wellcraft.... just sayin

While it's FAR from conclusive, replaced upholstery is a warning sign of a boat that has been left exposed to the elements... think rotten floors, stringers, transom

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thanks everyone for their input. The regal is in good shape but motor has about 700 hours on it. The bayliner motor was replaced new a season ago with only 25 hours on it. The upholstery was also replaced, so I am leaning towards the bayliner for now. I am going to see it this Saturday and will get a surveyer if I like what I see.

You ever hear the expression "polishing a turd"?
Not saying the boat is one (I never met it), but you can make a boat look awful pretty that's a basket case below decks. The structure of the boat needs to be thoroughly inspected before you pull the trigger. Wouldn't want to see you end up in the resto section after finding out her guts are rotten a few months down the line. ;)

jkust

Rear Admiral

You need to report on condition of each before we can then go to the next level and advise you the difference between budget and non-budget boats. If it was still 1994, and money wasn't an issue, of course Regal would be the 'nicer' boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So what engine/drive is on the Bayliner?

Bayliners are notorious for under powering their boats to keep the price down.

antmay

Cadet

I am driving 2 hours tomorrow evening to see it. The bayliner has a alpha drive with a new Mercury MerCruiser 5.7L

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I hope you take it out for a test drive. That thing is going to be a slug. Carb'd engine right?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Had a marina neighbor with a 2855 B-liner. Windows constantly needed to be re-caulked at least twice per season. It was a turtle with the single 5.7L engine and alpha drive. His upholstery needed replacing also after just 8 years. It was generally reliable, but not a good boat on Lake Michigan .

antmay

Cadet

It's carburetor . Hmm... I don't want to be the slowest boat in lake erie :( I will often have up to 6 adults on board.

The other boat the Regal 8.3m SC Ventura has the Volvo Duo Pro 7.4L (310hp) with 589 hours, freshwater cooled Chevrolet 454 engine.