VHF Radios?

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to decide which route to go. Fixed mount or handheld? or if it's even 100% necessary for the type of boating we do.
My boat doesn't currently have a VHF radio and I haven't installed on yet (had her about 2.5 months)

I mostly stay in protected inland waterways or the ICW. Occasionally we may go to the jetties, but not all that often.
So, in other words almost everywhere we tend to boat, we normally have either other boaters around or we have cell signal.
But I know that this at least would give me the NOAA weather stations & vessel to vessel communications or communication with bridges & dockworkers if needed.

I'm trying to get some opinions here. Which route if either should I go?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: VHF Radios?

fixed mount with an external speaker.....better sound and better range. Handheld speakers are poor at best ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You're sinking, you have 5 people on-board. What is the cell phone number of that boat over there?

This same scenario played out earlier this year locally. They called the local fire department for help via cell phone even through several boats where within eye sight. End result, two dead, three pulled from the water. Wouldn't have happened if they had a VHF and where able to hail the boats near by.

Buy a fixed mount with the best antenna you can afford. You never now when your life may depend on it.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yes, you need a VHF- no question. As dingbat said, who ya gonna call on the cell?

Guess I'd go fixed, too, though I carry both on mine. If you also have a GPS, wire the DSC function of the radio to the GPS during installation. If you activate the DSC function on the radio, it'll broadcast a Mayday with your GPS position. Stupidly, I have not yet hooked mine up that way but it's a great feature. Good info here:

Digital Selective Calling (DSC) for Marine VHF Radios - DSC VHF for Sailboat Safety

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I've used hand-helds and their range is unsatisfactory. Fixed model with an 8' antenna is the only option.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the advice guys, the scenario about the 5 sinking really brought up a good point.
So, looks like fixed mount wins everybody over. I don't use a dedicated GPS, but rather the Navionics app on my iPhone.
So wiring it into it isn't really an option unless I spring for a GPS too... (wife's gonna kill me)
Again, thanks for the input, I knew I could count on this forum.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the advice guys, the scenario about the 5 sinking really brought up a good point.
So, looks like fixed mount wins everybody over. I don't use a dedicated GPS, but rather the Navionics app on my iPhone.
So wiring it into it isn't really an option unless I spring for a GPS too... (wife's gonna kill me)
Again, thanks for the input, I knew I could count on this forum.

Dude, ya gotta have toys! You could try convincing her that the GPS is necessary because you want to do everything possible to keep her safe ;)

notop

Seaman Apprentice

I'll cast my vote in with the fixed mount guys too. Some VHFs come with a GPS embedded in them already, so you don't need extra equipment to make use of the DSC functions. External GPS without a display are also available starting at around $45.00 online -- that's what I use and my VHF (GX1600) has a display that shows lat/long and allows me to save a few waypoints too.