repairing a leak in a pontoon (hollow type)

duck64

Petty Officer 2nd Class
besides welding is there a way to seal a small hole in bottom of pontoon, i don't want any fittings sticking down i break it off.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: repairing a leak in a pontoon (hollow type)

If its a pin hole and not an area that is exfoliated...stainless steel, self tapping sheet metal thread truss head screw. Glob on HARDNING formula Permatex and screw in immdiately, even under water. Clean area with rough 3M pad to clean away oxidation and any marine growth before installing screw.

chippy

Seaman Apprentice

When you get it fixed,you can get the pontoons filled with foam.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Clean it up and spread some 3m 5200 sealant over the hole and call it a day.Charlie

BillP

Captain

I wouldn't put a stainless screw in it...that creates electrolysis and the aluminum will be the anode. Like charlie says, plug it up with 3m 5200 and forget it forever. If it makes you feel better glue a small patch of alumunum over the hole with the 5200.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ditto on the jb weld, friend of mine has used it on his 26 footer and no problems except when he gets tanked and runs it up on the bank, if you want a smooth finish i know this sounds wierd but pean the hole fill with jb weld and then sand it smooth, make sure to sand before you seal it.

BillP

Captain

You can get the jb weld surface slippery smooth by pressing (use a squeegee)a mylar sheet over the patch after application. Then peel the mylar off when the jb is cured. It leave a shiny smooth surface without sanding. This works for resin and other materials too.