Emergency auxiliary engine

erick11s

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,
I have a cobalt boat 27 feet aprx weight 4800 lbs with single engine 454,
I want to buy a emergency engine that will only be used if the main engine stops.

What is the best hp engine that combines reliablility and lightness?
Thanks
Erick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Emergency auxiliary engine

Most people mount small outboards on a bracket on the transom. 27' boats usually use around a 15 hp or larger outboard.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'll find a lot of people use kicker motors like that. I have a 16' aluminum bass boat and I have a 2HP Johnson motor on hand that I may some day do the same with. Have a look at this link.

Trac Outboard Motor Brackets | Bass Pro Shops

You'll find a number of mounts out there that will keep your kicker motor out of the water until you need it. When you do, just drop it in and fire it up. I'd stick with a tiller for the obvious advantage of not needing additional steering equipment and I'd stick with a small 2 stroke for the weight advantage. As Don said, a 15 should be fine, but if space and the capacity of your mounting bracket permits you can put on something larger. After all, you're just looking to get back to shore in case of emergencies. With any luck, you'll never even use it. :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If its a cuddy or cruiser, you may want to consider something that CAN hook up to your outdrive with a steering rod. Its hard to steer a tiller motor if you can't see anything except the back of your own boat. (of course, didn't give specifics, so if by chance you don't have an outdrive, you can't easily connect to it!)