Cheap way to raise boat off trailer to paint the bottom?

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wanting to put a fresh coat on the bottom of my 16' fiberglass boat.. Seen a few ways to raise it off the trailer, some even say leave it on the trailer and move it forwards and back, but the engine I have is max for the boat, so the weight might make that a real bad idea..

Suggestions?

Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cheap way to raise boat off trailer to paint the bottom?

super easy.... I use a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 block.... either block trailer or preferably attach to truck.... put jack and block under one side (preferably against a strake about 2/5 forward of the stern and jack it up... block blocks can then be placed between trailer and boat... paint areas over bunks on that side.... after it dries lower it and do the other side......

OR drop the tongue all the way to the ground and block both sides of the rear.... then use a floor jack and not the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer... block the keel in front and lower the trailer

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

"Launch" it in the yard, prop one side up and paint; when it dries do the other; put it back on the trailer.

What we used to do with a 16' aluminum OB.
A whole lot easier than trying to work from down low and around the trailer parts. Expensive as bottom paint is, you don't want drips!

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would like to launch it in the yard, but my driveway and garage are a couple feet lower than the surrounding yard and there's a brick wall along the yards...

Let alone I'm not too sure I could even if I had a yard to do it, the boat is 750-800 lbs and the tower of power is like 300-400 lbs?
heh

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This should give you a basic idea of how to get it off the trailer.
You may have to refine the procedures just a bit for your boat and trailer, but the process will be basically the same.

View attachment Boat off trailer.pdf

Last edited:

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

super easy.... I use a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 block.... either block trailer or preferably attach to truck.... put jack and block under one side (preferably against a strake about 2/5 forward of the stern and jack it up... block blocks can then be placed between trailer and boat... paint areas over bunks on that side.... after it dries lower it and do the other side......

OR drop the tongue all the way to the ground and block both sides of the rear.... then use a floor jack and not the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer... block the keel in front and lower the trailer

thats how me and dad always did it