Repair to damaged Skeg advice for new owner

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and am excited to join this commmunity. I am a first-time boat owner so I am finding out many things the hard way. I have purchased a 1993 Ebbtide 182SE bowrider with a 4.3L Merc I/O (I think Alpha 1 Gen 2) and have only had it out a handful of times.

A couple of days ago I was navigating a local lake and failed to realize how shallow the water was at the shore. I was moving at a very slow speed and hit what I presume was a fairly large rock. There is no damage to the hull. I have examined the lower unit and did not see any cracks in it but the skeg is significantly damaged and so is the prop. After I struck the rock I was still able to get back to the boat launch without any problems.

My question is regarding a repair to the skeg. A local shop can rebuild it for $260CAD. I have found an alternative in form of the skeg guards that I would be able to "cover up" the nasty skeg with. In order to use one I think I will need to cut off piece of the bent skeg. I am really unsure on how to do it... Should I use an angle grider and just chop it off? I have tried to bend it back into place with two hammers with minimal success. Also, a prop rebuild is quoted at $140 and I think I can buy a new aluminum one for less than that online. If I use a skeg guard and buy a new aluminum prop my repair costs will be around $200 instead of $400.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please see the pics that I attached.

Attachments

• Skeg1.jpg
    Skeg1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Skeg2.jpg
    Skeg2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repair to damaged Skeg advice for new owner

In my opinion, I would first see if adding some skeg guards if they were quality guards which would fully enclose and seal the damage to the skeg. I would first try to reshape what is left of the existing skeg and install the guard on top of it before cutting it off. At that point I'd run it for a while to see if it gave you any problems for any reason. If it does, it may be worth getting it repaired.

You'll also want to be sure that there was not any damage that warped your prop. If the prop is no longer balanced that can eventually cause undue wear to your lower unit.

I did the same thing recently in Grapevine Lake in Texas. I hit a rock and damaged the prop. I replaced it at an unexpected cost but it had to be done.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I would try straightening that skeg and feather it off myself with a packer plate/dolly and a hammer and paint the exposed metal with some zinc chromate primer and then matching paint. Then buy another aluminum prop and boat on... No biggie...

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Aluminum props are not exceedingly expensive and will be your best bet in shallow rocky areas. It looks like there is enough skeg left to cover with a guard. Can it be straightened and if not is there enough after removal of some for a guard to work? Shallow rocky areas-- look up 'Keel Guard' as they make both sheg and keel guards.

pckeen

Commander

Hi,

I hate to disagree with the experienced users above, but I recommend biting the bullet and getting the skeg repaired professionally.

The purpose of the skeg is to hit underwater objects before something more vital does, such as the hull, prop, or other parts of the motor such as the lower gears.

A pro will weld up the skeg properly.

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you to everyone that has replied so far.

I am unsure about getting the skeg fixed with a welded joint not only due to the higher cost (compared to covering it up with a guard) but also because I am under the impression that a weld will still be a weak spot in the skeg and only provide marginal protection againts damage to any lower unit components. I am hoping that a quality guard will actually provide some structural integrity and not be just aestheticially pleasing. (Would I be wrong in thinking this?)

At this time I am leaning towards the guard and I am going to attempt to straighten the skeg out using some body shop tools (I will need to pick up some cheapies). At the moment I am praying to the boating gods that they will let the skeg straighten out without any complications... I feel rather uncomfortable smacking the lower unit with a hammer though...

One other thing that does concern me is the drilling of holes into the skeg for the guard application. That's probably just paranoia.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

On one hand, I agree with pckeen. At the end of the day, the best thing to do is to have it serviced by an experienced professional. But do your homework and make sure you're taking it to someone who knows his stuff. If he fixes it right, you won't have to worry about the strength of the weld. You could then strengthen his fix with guards. It is a sound option, just an expensive one.

On the other hand, shaping the skeg yourself and installing guards is a good "good enough" solution and an affordable one. You shouldn't have to worry about drilling the skeg if the guards require it. It won't damage or weaken it that I can see.

And you're right. I would avoid hitting it with a hammer if at all possible. There's no sense in sending that sort of jolt through your lower unit. Try shaping it with wrenches, vices, large clamps, or other low impact tools. Better to do that than potentially cause more damage to the lower unit.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Dont stress this out get a grinder and cut her off. Measure three time's and let it rip. That former skeg is nothing more than useless pot metal at this time treat it as such.

SkegGard with Skid Plate 99003 - Skeggard - iboats

skeggard_2_6.jpg

Better than new...:joyous:

Now if you want to beat that back into some kind of shape get a 2x4 place it on one side and beat the other side with a hammer...Just dont hit it like your driving a 16 penny nail...your forming a new look be gentle.

Bartine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dont stress this out get a grinder and cut her off. Measure three time's and let it rip. That former skeg is nothing more than useless pot metal at this time treat it as such.

skeggard_2_6.jpg

Now if you want to beat that back into some kind of shape get a 2x4 place it on one side and beat the other side with a hammer...Just dont hit it like your driving a 16 penny nail...your forming a new look be gentle.
I've got one on my lower unit and it works good and looks fantastic. It was installed by the previous owner.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The replacement skeg is under $20 bucks but having it welded takes a knowledgeable and skilled welder. Aluminum transfers heat FAST and to properly weld it I would suggest taking the lower unit apart and removing and replacing all the seals since the heat will damage them.

Here is an entire page of parts skeg - iboats

gm280

Supreme Mariner

After rereading all the comments and again looking over the pictures attached, I still have to say clean up the bottom (make it straight and flat) and straighten the bent portion (using a solid backing plate or body dolly and a suitable hammer) and prime and paint. There seems to be enough sticking below to still offer protection to the prop. This isn't rocket surgery...

muxum89

Recruit

Hey their, bad deal about the skeg.. I would suggest taking the lower unit off and work with that skeg at the bench maybe even using the vice with some heat.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just get it fixed. I just killed mine and had it fixed and there was other under lying issues that they found and fixed for me. Ended up costing more but saved in the long run. It will come back better than brand new

If your in canada and in southern ontario yours may be done by the same guy as mine cause all the local marinas give their **** to him

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The weld is not a weak spot if done at a reputable shop. Don't start the habit of cheaping out on your boat repairs. That almost always leads to increased cost down the road. In this case probably not but it isn't the way you want to mantain a boat for long term ownership.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

skeggard_2_6.jpg

I put one of these on my drive as well, since hitting a rock in the St. Lawrence is generally a matter of when, not if... Looks sharp, in my opinion.

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class

Adding in 2?... I have a stainless steel SkegGard on my 2007 Merc 150 and it's perfect. It covers up the fact that I broke off the bottom of the skeg. You're overthinking this - bend that thing into shape, put on a SkegGard and forget about it.
WP_20130712_003.jpg

Last edited:

etracer68

Ensign

I have bent my skeg too, and used two 1/4" thick steel plates ( one per side), and heavy duty C clamps, tighten the clamps, and you should be able to bent it 90% back, then hand grind the rough edges. I personaly would then leave it. But you can still add a SkegGard if you want. I would not beat on it with a hammer thou. Get a new prop, and center, go have fun.

Last edited:

alorio1

Seaman Apprentice

Adding in 2?... I have a stainless steel SkegGard on my 2007 Merc 150 and it's perfect. It covers up the fact that I broke off the bottom of the skeg. You're overthinking this - bend that thing into shape, put on a SkegGard and forget about it.
+1
Put the skeg on and forget about it, here in Louisiana we have mostly rivers to run out boats in with fallen trees just under the surface of the water. I was constanly bending/warping my aluminum skeg and having to straighten it out with a hammer and blocks of wood, but after I installed the skeg guard I don't have that problem anymore.....

oldjeep

Admiral

skeggard_2_6.jpg

Timely post, my wife chunked our skeg a couple days ago near a launch that we were not familiar with - not her fault, never could find the rock that it hit. It really doesn't impact the way the boat handles at all, but I want to fix it so that it continues doing its job.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would repair it too but realize that the cover option is, well ... just a cover and it will not look as good as the original. If you plan on selling this boat, it is my opinion that the bolt on cover would cause me to think twice about buying it. For a few bucks you could repair it to original condition. As others have mentioned, you may want to fix it as it was, but if you plan or expect to be hitting more structure as you learn, I could see using one of the less expensive options. It's all up to you, either way works. Welcome to boating, where everything cost's an arm and 2 legs.