1994 bayliner w/70 up force

miner77

Cadet
New to the thread. Had a couple of boats in past, just tinker toys. Thinking about buying a 94 bayliner classic 17' w/ a 70hp force motor. Would like some input.

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 bayliner w/70 up force

Condition is everything.
Could be good or bad.
Motor will be a bit small for that boat. Boat is rated for 120 hp, and I wouldn't have it with less than 90+ hp.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The 70 horsepower Force is a decent mid sized engine with a Mercury designed lower unit. It performs remarkably well for a larger engine with a 10 inch diameter prop. It is a three cylinder engine, detuned from the 85 and 90 and has a single large carb, so there is no fuss about balancing carbs and no danger of one going lean and damaging a cylinder. It will do OK on the 17 footer but don't expect miracles: Tubing will be OK, water skiing may be "Iffy," and beginning wakeboarding will be do-able until improved skill level demands more performance. More than 4 people in the boat and she may "wallow like a garbage scow" (Scotty from Star Trek)

However, understand that MANY people absolutely detest Bayliner/Force so do not overpay for it.

miner77

Cadet

Do you think $2600 would be too much? Boat looks good, floors solid, motor sounds good. Don't know how to tell about transom.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Sea test would be a must for my $$, it's a almost 20 year old entry level boat/motor, so yes I think $2600 is high. Check that transom out, look for signs of water intrusion, stand on the leg and see if you have any flex what so ever. Drill holes in the transom if the owner will let you, then reseal with some 3M 5200 sealant. Time spent checking now could help you decide if this boat is solid or another persons junk.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Remember that boats are a luxury item. NO boat NEEDS to be bought. Asking price is just that: Asking. Do I think 2600 is high? It is difficult to say because I can't see and touch the boat. But I think there is some wiggle room there.

I would not go so far as to drill test holes in the transom, but if you have someone knowledgeable about boats I would ask that person along to see it. AND If possible a sea trial would be good.

Now also remember that as a first boat, the chances of you keeping it for a long period are slim. There is a good probability that you will step up in the next two years. SO: You must assume that at the end of that period, the boat will lose much of its value and you must decide what it is worth to you in real dollars per year to go have fun on the water. Compare what it would cost to go, say, skiing or to an amusement park every other week. Then decide, based on the boat condition, how much you want to offer.

And remember: This isn't the only boat for sale. Like starfish, there are a lot in the sea.

miner77

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. It has been very helpful. The guy is asking $2950 for the boat, I figured I could get him down to $2600 pretty easy. I think I may just offer $2000 and let that be the end of it. After checking everything, that is.