Bottom paint or ????

duzboat

Cadet
IMAGE001.JPGI purchased a 1991 smoker craft 18' aluminum boat that has been in fresh water for many years except for winter. It looks like the bottom has never been cleaned ? I tried to remove the dark gray almost black looking film with different products that claim to clean the aluminum bottom hull with little results. Some of this dark film has come off but after looking closely I am now wondering if this is bottom paint or a build of of being in the water all these years ? Can anyone tell me how would one identify bottom paint from a dirty aluminum bottom ? If this is dirt build up then what product do you use to remove this because I have tried a few with little results . Thanks for your help..

Last edited:

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Bottom paint or ????

I have never cleaned the bottom of my alum boat. it is oxidized, sort of nature of the beast. got pics? if you just trailer the boat from lake to lake for the day i would not paint bottom, that just becomes maintenance.

duzboat

Cadet

Well as you can see in the pic this bottom needs help. I do trailer it from lake to lake but would like to clean what ever this mess is off the bottom. How ever , all the products that I have tried thus far do not work well . Thinking muriatic acid wash ??? But never used this before so ?????

duzboat

Cadet

Yes , I have a 2500 psi pressure washer that I have used many times with no success . This grime seems to be baked on .