Do I Need to Route my Hydraulic Steering Hoses Through a Rigging Tube?

gidrac

Seaman Apprentice
I will be taking on the task of installing a SeaStar 1.7 hydraulic steering system for my boat. I've read about running the hydraulic steering hoses through a rigging tube or pvc pipe. Is this necessary? I planned on just running them down the gunwale which is sealed up between the hull and the fiberglass decking. I don't plan on keeping them next to anything sharp, but how tough/weak are these hoses?<br /><br />Any other tips/hints on installing a hydraulic steering system greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mark.

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Do I Need to Route my Hydraulic Steering Hoses Through a Rigging Tube?

Hi Gidrac,<br />I have an alum C/C with hyd steer. Hoses are high pressure nylon 3/8 inch ID & are very tough. These hoses need to be supported along their length & through bends much the same as elec wiring. Cable ties are ideal. If they rub up against a sharp edge you can protect them with some rubber/nylon type hose. Full length conduits are probably overkill.<br />You will need a friend to help you bleed the system once it is in to remove any air. One of you turning the wheel, the other at the bleed nipples on the ram. The installation manual will cover this. Try not to mix different brands/types of hydraulic fluid. Follow the instructions exactly & do not take any short cuts & it will be a fairly simple job.<br />Have fun,<br />Peter