Swim Ladder Down !!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, so this weekend I forgot to raise the swim ladder before starting the engines and proceeding away from where we were anchored. Once I gave the steering wheel a turn the oversight became audibly obvious as the prop struck the ladder in a rapid grinding fashion . . . :facepalm:

No harm done and by the looks of the ladder, it has seen the prop a few times before. ( I was curious as to how all those marks got there) :noidea:

However, I was wondering if I should 'invent' some sort of electronic warning device to remind me to pull up the ladder 'when' I forget. . . something that would activate a buzzer or something like that if the ladder was still down. Anybody done this sort of thing or have any tips or tricks ???
(I've got the "don't do that again" figured out)

My previous boat had the swim ladder off to the starboard side, so the odds of hitting it were dramatically reduced. This boat has the swim ladder right between the twin outdrives (Bravo3) so the odds of hitting the ladder, if I forget to raise it, are nearly 100%

TIA for your comments and ideas. :)

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Swim Ladder Down !!!

Hmm, that's a tough one. Never had a boat with a ladder that the outdrive could reach. Perhaps just a warning sticky note over the ignition any time you deploy the ladder?! I suppose you could rig some sort of a pressure switch, but it seems like overkill. Just make "ladder up" part of your pre-start checklist.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I was wondering if I should 'invent' some sort of electronic warning device to remind me to pull up the ladder 'when' I forget. . . something that would activate a buzzer or something

That is called "your wife" No need to invent anything, they have a built in buzzer to alert you when you forget something......everytime.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have wondered the same thing many times. Such a simple thing is so hard to remember to check. Mine just makes a beautiful spray of water behind the boat when its down and as soon as somebody says whats that rainbow from I stop and put it up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

It would have to be a limit switch, or a mag-prox switch. a mercury switch or other tilt-indicative switch would give you readings while pounding waves.

It would be about $100 in wire, sensor, relay, and buzzer. Then again, pulling the keys and the "ladder deployed" sticky would be almost free

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Maybe something like a small pressure switch Adjustable Joggle Switch (Large) | dyslexic.com

When the ladder is stowed it presses on the switch breaking the circuit. You could wire it into the ignitiion circuit so that if you leave the ladder down it sounds an alarm or light as soon as you turn the key.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are 2 types of boaters: those that HAVE left the ladder down, and those who WILL leave the ladder down.

I'm the former. Welcome to the club. :cool:

The best way to deal with this sort of thing is to have a checklist. There are some things you need to check before putting the drives in gear (anchor, dock lines, ladder, gear and occupants in the right place, etc.). Run through your checklist each and every time. Doesn't have to be written; a mental checklist is fine but you have to use it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Thanks for the comments and ideas so far . . . keep 'em coming.

The Admiral did manage to remind me a couple of times thereafter, and I did the same on a few occasions. My boat has twin engines with just the standard swim platform (not the extended one) and so the ladder drops right in between the drives . . . So, a sharp turn of the wheel (typical of shallow water maneuvering) gets the prop in contact with the ladder. ouch !!!

I'm sure it will happen from time to time, so I figure if there were a safeguard, then I could hopefully avoid any further ladder mishaps. This would allow me to concentrate my future efforts on 'anchoring follies' :D

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually think this should be factory installed safety feature, If your prop can reach the ladder.
but all your need is a limit switch, some wire and an indicator light. It shouldn't cost more that about 20$

Waterproof limit switch:
New Waterproof Limit Switch 10A 125VAC 250VAC | eBay

12v marine indicator light: (there were cheaper ones)
Marine 12V Red Super Size Panel Indicator Light New | eBay

I've been thinking about doing mine even though it can't hit the prop, just cuz its annoying to sit down and get ready... then get back up cuz i forgot the ladder.

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, it's either the prestart checklist (or sticky note), the indicator light, or you fasten something buoyant to the bottom of the ladder so that the end floats up to the surface when no one is on the ladder. Last option is probably the least desirable, but would still work.

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm liking the proximity or limit switch idea . . . that way it could run an indicator light or a buzzer.

It should be a standard feature on boats . . . just like all the warning buzzers and indicator light on cars. :)

fishrdan

Admiral

Rube-Goldberg it!!!

#1- Bolt a waterproof (old trolling motor will suffice) motor under to the swim.
#2- Mount Pulley onto motor shaft.
#3- Tie bailing twine onto pulley and then to bottom rung of ladder.
#4- Jury rig a switch that's open when the ladder is stowed, closed when the ladder is deployed.
#5- Wire motor to switch and then to boat's ignition switch.

When the ignition is turned on the ladder will automatically stow itself!

Or,

1- Mount an huge electro magnet under the swim platform
2- Wire electro Magnet to ignition switch
3- Affix 50# iron bar the the bottom rung of swim ladder.

When the ignition is turned on the ladder will stow itself and launch unsuspecting boarders back into the boat, or past the boat, or back on shore.

(I prefer the first option as the second option is too "Wile E. Coyote")

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

why not solve the problem instead of making warnings to warn you about it? Lots of newer swim ladders either float, or have a rubber bungi inside that will pull the ladder up. It won't stow it, but it will retract it to some extent. (depends on the type of ladder obviously, this only applies to telescoping ladders, not flip type.)

tpenfield

Staff member

Rube-Goldberg it!!!

#1- Bolt a waterproof (old trolling motor will suffice) motor under to the swim.
#2- Mount Pulley onto motor shaft.
#3- Tie bailing twine onto pulley and then to bottom rung of ladder.
#4- Jury rig a switch that's open when the ladder is stowed, closed when the ladder is deployed.
#5- Wire motor to switch and then to boat's ignition switch.

When the ignition is turned on the ladder will automatically stow itself!

Or,

1- Mount an huge electro magnet under the swim platform
2- Wire electro Magnet to ignition switch
3- Affix 50# iron bar the the bottom rung of swim ladder.

When the ignition is turned on the ladder will stow itself and launch unsuspecting boarders back into the boat, or past the boat, or back on shore.

(I prefer the first option as the second option is too "Wile E. Coyote")

Great ideas, I'll get right on it. . . :D

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about a "body up switch" like we use on heavy trucks to indicate when the bed is raised? LED lights up when the switch is open. Plus they're weather proof.

Body-Up Indicators

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

why not solve the problem instead of making warnings to warn you about it? Lots of newer swim ladders either float, or have a rubber bungi inside that will pull the ladder up. It won't stow it, but it will retract it to some extent. (depends on the type of ladder obviously, this only applies to telescoping ladders, not flip type.)

Your idea is the best. See this patent, surprised this is not on the market yet.
Patent EP1616782A1 - Self-retracting lockable step-assembly for boats - Google Patents

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a simple waterproof normally closed momentary pushbutton switch under the platform such that the deployed ladder will trip it wired into the start circuit(s) would prevent the engines from starting with the ladder down

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Why not install a pin to keep the ladder in the stowed position. Attach a clip to the pin and when it is removed clip it to the keys so that when you go to start the boat you see the pin. Problem solved, if need be add a red tag to make it visible.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like an aftermarket installation by some yutz! If a ladder has any possibilty of coming in contact with the prop at any trim level or ladder angle, then it was improperly installed.

Forget the failsafe switches, bungie cords, etc and fix the ladder!

tpenfield

Staff member

Sounds like an aftermarket installation by some yutz! If a ladder has any possibilty of coming in contact with the prop at any trim level or ladder angle, then it was improperly installed.

Forget the failsafe switches, bungie cords, etc and fix the ladder!

Factory OEM installation