Can I wakeboard with this boat

Magan17

Recruit
I am considering buying a 17 foot 1986 Glastron Con with a 140 mercruiser motor I have never owned a boat and was wondering how well this boat would do with tubing, wake boarding, ect and with how many people. Please help

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Can I wake-board with this boat

If you haven't Tubed, or Skied or Wake boarded before; you will enjoy the experience immensely.
If you are practicing big air tricks for the wake board competition next month; you will hate it; but you would already have known that!

The small starter boat with average power will do the job, limit your load to three on the boat and one in the water.

You will get comments about how you will need a custom dedicated water-sports boat.
Yes, they will be much better, but a 140 hp 17 footer will get you started until you learn for yourself what you need to make you happy. You do not even know if you will like wakeboarding yet!
The small boat will pull a tube or boarder faster that then they will ever want to go.
The boat , not towing, should be able to do 35-45 mph. Plenty fast to do real damage.

Magan17

Recruit
Re: Can I wakeboard with this boat

Thanks a bunch I have tubed before and loved it I look forward to attempting other activities. Thanks for your help

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

It will pull a boarder and a tube just fine.

As to # of people, it will also have a coast guard plaque with a maximum, likely 6 or 7. This is the maximum, however, and any more than 5 would get crowded very quickly (4 if the people are large).

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can wakeboard behind that without much problem. It won't have a huge wake buy that does not stop you getting skill or having lots of fun. Enjoy.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have done it all on a similar sized set-up.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will work but with four people on board and tubes, ropes, wakeboard cooler, and other stuff you will be very cramped. If you really enjoy these things and have friends that do also rather than replacing the boat later buy a larger one now if you can. If not make friends with someone who has a 'toon to keep your toys on and go have fun !!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

It will work fine for wakeboarding, tubing, etc, and will not suck as much gas either. If you want a bigger wake just put some of your buddies inside.

oldjeep

Admiral

P8080031.jpg
If you haven't Tubed, or Skied or Wake boarded before; you will enjoy the experience immensely.
If you are practicing big air tricks for the wake board competition next month; you will hate it; but you would already have known that!

Baloney, if you know what you are doing then you can jump behind anything - my son behind my own 19ft with 140hp mercruiser.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

View attachment 200913

Baloney, if you know what you are doing then you can jump behind anything - my son behind my own 19ft with 140hp mercruiser.

Yes, you can do it, and you can get air behind anything. Buts its also much harder and the boat becomes the limiting factor. A beginner won't notice a difference.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've owned two 4 cylinder Mercruiser I/O's. They get great fuel mileage, and will cruise reasonably fast.

But they just come "out of the hole" pretty weak.

I put Bennett hydraulic trim tabs on my last boat, and it ran like it had 40 hp more. And it planed off at 10 mph. I consider adjustable trim tabs mandatory on any I/O.

I'd be looking for something a little stronger. The 4.3 engines are so much better for most popular hulls.

Magan17

Recruit

I am considering buying a 17 foot 1986 Glastron Con with a 140 mercruiser motor I have never owned a boat and was wondering how well this boat would do with tubing, wake boarding, ect and with how many people. Please help

This is what I'm considering buying what do y'all think?
1986 Glastron

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like a great boat! I single skied many years behind an 83 Melhart with a 4 cyl mercruiser. Best thing about our old boat was that it started and ran reliably every season. Sold it on craigslist in the same good condition for ~$2,000.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sure it will work, but how about a pylon? Wouldn't that make it a lot easier?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I learned to wakeboard behind a scout fishing boat with a 130 outboard.
We regularly wakeboard behind the 19ft boat in my sig with a 135hp I/O, it works great!

Of course a designated wakeboard boat is good for pulling and tricks, but recreation wise- the only fail I have is pulling skiiers on one ski, that requires alot more HP.