"Paint" on bottom of boat...

Greghog

Recruit
First post, probably a stupid question, but here goes. The bottom 1/3 of my boat (from right above the waterline down) is "painted" black and feels very different than the rest of the boat. I assume that is some type of coating because that is the portion of the boat that comes into contact with the water. The boat is a 1995 model and that "paint" is starting to flake off in many places. It is a fiberglass hull.

(1) Is it critical to "repaint" (will the exposure to the water hurt the hull if I don't?)
(2) If I need to "repaint" it (which I assume I do) I see a product on ********* web site called "anti-fouling bottom paint" (and it is black) is that what I would use to "repaint" with?
(3) Is this something I can even do myself (I wouldn't try to repaint my car).

I am a pretty new boat owner, didn't grow up with boats, so I still trying to figure things out.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: "Paint" on bottom of boat...

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

It sounds like you've got black ablative bottom paint on there now, so you've found the proper item if you want to repaint. However, you may not really need bottom paint. Do you leave the boat in a slip or do you trailer? Trailer boats generally don't get bottom paint.

Greghog

Recruit

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

It sounds like you've got black ablative bottom paint on there now, so you've found the proper item if you want to repaint. However, you may not really need bottom paint. Do you leave the boat in a slip or do you trailer? Trailer boats generally don't get bottom paint.

It normally stays in a slip during the season (from mid May until mid September) in a slip, without a lift. The rest of the year it stays on the trailer in storage.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It normally stays in a slip during the season (from mid May until mid September) in a slip, without a lift. The rest of the year it stays on the trailer in storage.

I always used Interlux hard Black bottom paint every 2 or 3 years. I would paint the bottom if left in the water for a summer. Pressure wash the bottom and use a roller to apply, that's all I ever done for over 30 years and never had a problem.

Greghog

Recruit

I always used Interlux hard Black bottom paint every 2 or 3 years. I would paint the bottom if left in the water for a summer. Pressure wash the bottom and use a roller to apply, that's all I ever done for over 30 years and never had a problem.

Thanks. OK, next stupid question. My boat is a 22 foot Chaparral, I can get it on trailer no problem. I can paint most of the bottom that way, but I have no way a reaching the part of the bottom that would be sitting on the trailer and it is very heavy, there is no way I know to move the boat around and paint the other parts (I warned you it was a stupid question!) Is there a way to do this I am overlooking??????

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

first you need local advice on which painit to use; it's all different. ask your marina neighbors. Also find out who paints bottoms and hire them. The main cost is in the paint ($200/gallon).

If you are on a roller trailer, one trick is to not roll all the way by about 10", paint it, crank the rest of the way, paint the gaps. Be careful en route. won't work on bunks.

there are ways to jack and block using the trailer jack but I question the safety with a boat that big. Hire someone. And you don't have to use the best marine mechanic in town; it's not rocket surgery.