1975 Bomber bass boat HID# location

slowman9786

Recruit
New to the forum and new to boating. I just picked up a 1975 bomber fiberglass bass boat. has a mercury 650, with hydraulic trim. Anyways, It hasn't been registered since 08', went to get it registered and the receipt from 08' had the incorrect hull id#. I looked all over the boat and can't find it. I suspect it is on the back of the transom, the only problem is that someone diamond plated the whole transom. (I guess the fiberglass was getting soft). Is there any where else the ID# would be?
I wanted to ask here before I ripped the plate off the transom.
I look forward to all your help, and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I restore this old boat.
Thanks,
Justin

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1975 Bomber bass boat HID# location

The HIN will be on the transom - upper starboard. Diamond plate the transom??? Not sure I'd spend the money to register it.....

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

This may be a dumb question, but how do they know the HIN is incorrect?:confused:

Yep, near the top of the transom on the starboard side ('least that's where it's at with my '81 Bomber).

Putting a steel plate on the transom is just a band-aid for a very bad problem. Spend a bit of time perusing the restoration forum and learning about transom problems. It's just about guaranteed you've got a rotted transom, and no amount of band-aids will make it a safe fix.

slowman9786

Recruit

Thanks guys, I will check there.

They knew it was incorrect when I tried to register it and there weren't enough numbers in the HIN. I guess they let it slide by the past few years, but the marine police in Montgomery (Alabama) said I have to have the correct HIN to register in.

There is diamond plate across the whole transom. I will start another thread on that, it worried me too, but now after what ya'll have said about that, I'm scared to see whats under neath. It feels really solid though.