how do i cut down my bow rail

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 90 wellcraft eclipse 216. it has a typical bow rail that is about 12" high in front and it wraps all the way around the front. i want to cut it down as much as possable to look a little more like the bow rail on a liberator or a "go fast" boat.

the supports are slanted forward slighly, and they get taller as they move forward.

my qustion is, dose anybody think i would have a problem just cutting the supports down to lower the rail that way?? im worried that if i do that it will throw off the angles, im ok with doing very minor bending but i dont want to have to put in new supports or do any welding.

ive never done this so any advise would help alot.

thanks.

Re: how do i cut down my bow rail

About your only option would be to remove the existing brackets and install new, shorter ones.

tpenfield

Staff member

my question is, does anybody think i would have a problem just cutting the supports down to lower the rail that way?? im worried that if i do that it will throw off the angles, im ok with doing very minor bending but i dont want to have to put in new supports or do any welding.

ive never done this so any advise would help alot.

thanks.

I do, I do . . . the shape of the bow rail as in its 'raised' position does probably not match too well with the shape of the deck perimeter. So, some bending will have to take place, depending on how much you lower it. Typically go-fast boats have the rails about 3" above the deck. Also the supports are probably not completely straight up, but more likely angled. So the deck fittings will be in different places on the deck with the railing supports in a cut-down scenario.

Just need to factor all of those things in before you grab the saw.

agallant80

Commander

I think you will regret trying to modify it. I can't see how this will come out well unless you are a good fabricator.

oldjeep

Admiral

Why not remove it all together? At the point that you can't get your legs under it, it is more for decoration than anything else.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most bow rails I've seen are a much larger spread than the area of the bow deck. Lowering one will no doubt mean reshaping the upper rail.

bekosh

Lieutenant

For everybodys reference here's a pic of the Eclipse that I had.

About your only option would be to remove the existing brackets and install new, shorter ones.
I agree with wrench. If you want to do this, remove the old rail and repair the holes and install new ones. Probably on top of the fore deck would be easiest. Something like a pair of these mounted parallel to the raised section in the center maybe. Four Winns 031-1447 Stainless Steel 47 Inch Boat Bow Grab Rail / Handle There are other sizes and styles there also.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't understand removing or reducnig a safety device on the notion that it will make your boat look like something it isn't. It's time, effort and some cost that will likely look worse--and be less safe. "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is."

and as to Oldjeep's comment, don't let passengers sit at the bow rail with legs under them while underway at any speed. It's always dangerous and often illegal--and one of the few boating errors that I will chase down another boat for.

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with home cookin' on this one too. I know we aren't all made of money (myself definitely included) and we have particular tastes, but I really think you should reconsider. I think either way you will regret this decision if you proceed with it. I will suggest selling and buying a sportier boat if that is what you really desire.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it looks like i might just go to a junk yard, get a bow rail that is close and see if i can get the shape i need before i trash mine,

yes i have considered selling my boat and buying a sportier one however i love my boat, its sporty the way it is, yet it has alot more seating and room then a boat with a sundeck of similer size.

its not that i am trying to "make it something that its not" its just that i have redone alot to it over time and now it looks really nice and the bow rail is the only thing bothering me, and if its due able with out any expert experance then i thought i would give it a shot

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the pic bekosh, i could not find a good one of mine,

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with you snowman that rail would look so much better down lower. As far as safety Id rather fall off and swim around the back than slip, catch a rib on that... then fall and swim around with a bruised rib

haulnazz15

Captain

I agree with you snowman that rail would look so much better down lower. As far as safety Id rather fall off and swim around the back than slip, catch a rib on that... then fall and swim around with a bruised rib

The idea behind the rail is to give you a handhold while moving or working with the lines on the bow, not to serve as a safety net if you slip on the deck surface. The placement 12" up toward the bow end gives you leverage as a handhold when you are getting tossed by waves/wind. When you move the placement to 3" off the deck, the leverage you had before is almost nil, and you might as well just use a cleat to hold on to.

haulnazz15

Captain

it looks like i might just go to a junk yard, get a bow rail that is close and see if i can get the shape i need before i trash mine,

I'd look for an early-90's Baja or Scarab at a boat salvage. There were a lot with the type of the bow rails you are looking for in that era.

Rd05lly

Cadet

I cut mine down on my Chris Craft. You will have to cut end shorter.

matt167

Captain

You could cut it down with a little issue. As it is lowered, you will have to section it front- back to get it to line up, and you could only go so much before you run out of bow to line up with... Not something I would do

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just take it off all together... You will find that just removing it is a pain because not all of the nuts are likely to be easy to access.

fill the holes with marinetex and run it for a while.... later you can re gelcoat the holes if you decide to keep it that way.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Your bow rail looks similar to mine. Its the reason I bought the boat in the first place. So many boats have wimpy bow rails (or none at all) and look ugly. If you remove it the boat will look ugly. Isn't it amazing how different people have different tastes?

My son's boat is similar to yours and he has no bow rail. That's one boat I will never help anchor. He has to do it by himself!