canoe side motor mount throwing water in canoe

Mobalized

Cadet
I have a Old Town guide canoe with a Suzuki 2.5hp mounted on a home built side mount. Problem I'm running into is the water hitting the prop shaft is being thrown into the back of the canoe. Any brilliant deflector ideas?

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: canoe side motor mount throwing water in canoe

Like you, I mounted a motor to my 15.5 ft canoe as well. For my setup, I mounted its battery in front of the boat. I then ran large 12 Volt battery booster cables to the Minkota 36lbs motor - mounted at the rear side of the boat. Thus, making the canoe site more level on the water. And, I adjusted the height of the motor up and down to find its "most optimal" water depth as well.

For your setup, can you move the gas tank to front of canoe as well? Can you move your supplies to font of canoe as well? Also, does your gas motor need to be more or less deeper in the water as well?

BTW: A picture of how you connected the motor to your Canoe would help us as well...

Mobalized

Cadet

I'll have to grab pictures later. Motor height isn't the cause, it's water hitting the shaft causing water to fly into the boat. The gas tank is on the motor. Even with a person in the front the issue still happens.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to grab pictures later. Motor height isn't the cause, it's water hitting the shaft causing water to fly into the boat. The gas tank is on the motor. Even with a person in the front the issue still happens.

Water hitting the front of the shaft? and not spray from the spinning prop?

The only thing that comes to mind is an above water whale tail in reverse but I have no clue how to mount it.

Mobalized

Cadet

Water breaking across the front of the shaft not prop wash. Not changing the mounting just seeing if anyone had an idea for some sort of shielding to prevent the spray from coming in

ryansdata

Cadet

cut out a rubber flap from an old tire or bicycle inner tube - sort of like a mud flap. The drag in the water would be negligible

Mobalized

Cadet

cut out a rubber flap from an old tire or bicycle inner tube - sort of like a mud flap. The drag in the water would be negligible

Are you thinking running it in front of the shaft or behind?

Mobalized

Cadet

I had been thinking of running a piece of plexi off of the motor mount that parallels the side of the canoe.

ryansdata

Cadet

i'm thinking, snug up the rubber around the shaft, at or just above the water line