best portable marine toilet

gvturner

Recruit
I just purchase my first boat with a small cuddy cabin. I have been around boats for several years and one of the problems that we always encountered was readily available access to a toilet for the women and children. So with the cuddy I have that ability I just need to find out what is the best portable toilet on the market and why its the best.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: best portable marine toilet

Can't tell where you are from but portable toilets are illegal in Ontario.

gvturner

Recruit

I am located in Kentucky and it is my understanding I could purchase a Thetford, Dometic or comparable brand portable toilet that could be used then transported to a certified dump station for cleaning.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a lot of boaters find that the portable toilets are not worth the cost, space and immense hassle to use, dump and clean. If you're not on long voyages there are much simpler alternatives. you don't carry one backpacking.

Why don't you see if you can get along without it? Women who have been around the outdoors know what to do and children learn quick.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

You should be ok. I'm not familliar with the regulations in Kentucky. You don't have your location posted under your join date so just in case you were from Ontario I posted the reg from Transport Canada.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

both my bayliners came with portable toilet that had pump out hoses to the side of the boat. so i assume that if it is a pump out it is legal.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Just have a portable cheap one in my cuddy, doesn't get used much, but appreciated when needed. I just take it out and flush it down my home toilet, no problem.

Airshot

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They're all pretty much the same... I don't even know the brand of the one in my boat as its never been used (I think it still has the manual and other paperwork in the bowl, thats how it came from the factory).

I would just take a look at what iboats or whatever online retailer you prefer has, make sure the size fits in your cuddy, and get it. There really isnt much to them.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

My Islander has a Dometic. I've never used it but my little girl sure has. So has the wife. I think it has saved me from countless trip to the dock.
And a crowded marina is not where I want to be when I'm boating. It takes about 5 seconds to empty these new ones.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a couple of Thetfords. Well made, easy to use and easy to dump and clean. Which model you choose may be driven by how much vertical space is available in the spot you place it. If the porta pottie is too tall, the cuddy cushion won't fit over top when it's not in use. My space was in between models. I bought the shorter model and set it on top of a couple 2x4s. Fits perfect.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Islander has a Dometic. I've never used it but my little girl sure has. So has the wife. I think it has saved me from countless trip to the dock.
And a crowded marina is not where I want to be when I'm boating. It takes about 5 seconds to empty these new ones.

Just looked into it, my Stingray has a Dometic as well.