• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a 1997 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a 1997 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select?

Test drove a 1997 Sea Ray 230 Signature this weekend. Asking 13k for the boat. Is this worth it? interior is well kept. Been stored inside. Had to redo the engine several years ago due to leaving water in the block. The decals on the outside need to be redone. Am I making a mistake at 13? Need opinions both good and bad!

Re: Thinking of buying a 1997 Sea 230 Signature Select?

I have never had a boat like that so I dont know a value. But any boat owner who ruins an engine because of a not winterizing is not a good boat owner. Who knows what abuse that thing has been through. Jmo

Comment

Re: Thinking of buying a 1997 Sea Ray 230 Signature Select?

Can you post some pictures - much easier to have a view on value if we can see what you are looking at.
      Peter
      Northern Ontario, Canada

1968-71 Naden N-16 Big Fisherman
      History of Naden Boats

Comment

Originally posted by RyanM3 View Post
        Test drove a 1997 Sea Ray 230 Signature this weekend.
        That's A LOT of money for a boat of that age. However, if it truly ran great (did you sea trial it with your anticipated load aboard?) the interior is really nice, the hull is solid, the floor/stringers/transom aren't rotted, and the engine was rebuilt properly, it might be worth somewhere over $10,000. Just not 13,000.

Comment

The boat also comes with a trailer that is 4 years old. I was thinking the boats value is worth right around 12 and the trailer around 2.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanM3 View Post
            The boat also comes with a trailer that is 4 years old. I was thinking the boats value is worth right around 12 and the trailer around 2.
            Sounds like you already made up your mind that you're getting a good deal, then.

Comment

Re: Thinking of buying a 1997 Sea 230 Signature Select?

doesn't add to subject
              1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 2000 SS (5.7 VP/SX)
              Kawasaki 550 SX

Comment

Sounds like a decent deal to me, but it's hard to say without pictures. I'd recommend getting a survey unless you're comfortable spending that much based on your own knowledge/expertise.

The new engine, as long as you've given it a nice, long sea trial (a mechanical check should only be $150) is worth a lot to me. I disagree with whoever thought that a cracked block means he's not a good owner.

Good luck. I'd spend the money on the survey and mechanic if it was me.

Dan
                Dan
                sigpic

Comment

i just helped a buddy find a '99 sea ray 210 signature. it needed some tlc by my standards and he got a pretty decent deal @ $14K. i though it sounded high too, but couldn't find much else worth looking at. i'd say that price is pretty close, especially if it's in good shape. not sure of the 97s but his '99 is an all composite boat. a huge bonus IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X