Connection to Shore Power at Marinas

bvassel3

Petty Officer 1st Class
One of the challenges of staying at many different marinas while boating is the matter of electrical power to your boat. Marinas offer one or more kinds of power, 50 amp, 30 amp or 110 volts power.

Most boats with shore power hook-up capabilities take one of these forms of power. If you are running a.c. and/or central heating onboard you need 50 amp power. That is also often the case with your refrigerator and freezer, tv and other electronics on board.

So if the marina only has 30 amp power, not 50 amp, then you need to run two 30 amp lines from two different lines to a splitter box which brings the power together on your 50 amp line that then plugs into the boat.

If the shore power is not 30 amp but 110 volts then you need two 110 plug adapters to plug into the 110 and the other end plugs into your 30 amp wires and plugs.

What all this means is that traveling, as we are, requires 1 – 50 amp line, 2 – 30 amp lines, 2 – 110 plugs that then fit 30 amp plugs, and a 30 to 50 amp splitter box. If you don’t have them, you will spend a number of nights without shore power.

Don’t undertake a multi-marina trip without these power option cords, plugs and box. In the 35 days we have traveled we have found 50 amp power about 25% of the time. The rest was 30 amp or 110 volts.

IMG_5337-e1372020793510.jpeg

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Connection to Shore Power at Marinas

Aren't they ALL 110 VAC, just with different amperage ratings, and therefore different types of receptacles?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

For the scope of this discussion:
50a has 2 legs of 110v so it is 220v
30a is 110v (although two can usually be combined to produce 220v)
15a is 110v (called 110v by O/P)

If your boat uses 50a then you need one 50a cord a 50a female to dual 30a male splitter and one or two 15a male to 30a female adapters... might also consider a single 30a male to 50a female adapter
You won't be able to do much more than run lights and maybe a fan or tv from one or even two 15a outlets

Mine has A/C, stove, fridge, etc and uses two 30 amp cords...... one for a/c and 110v outlets and one for everything else.

NYBo

Admiral

Thanks for the clarification!

Thalasso

Commander

Most boats with shore power hook-up capabilities take one of these forms of power. If you are running a.c. and/or central heating onboard you need 50 amp power. That is also often the case with your refrigerator and freezer, tv and other electronics on board.

This is not so.What size and kind of boat are you trying to power up? You can run A/C fridge and what ever on a 30 amp hookup. Your boat wiring will determine what you need. 30 amp or 50 amp. Usually a boat with 2 a/c systems will require a dual hookup.I run a A/C, fridge, microwave and whatever i want on a 30 amp hookup

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

They also have this connection (50a to dual 30a splitter). I carry one as I have been to marinas which may only have a slip available that has a 50a connection. So, ypu only have to carry your 30acords and a single splitter. No issue.

50 to dual 30.jpg

agallant80

Commander

I have two 30amp shore power sockets but I only plug one in and there is a "parilell" switch on the pannel so I can power both sides of it with only one 30amp cord plugged in. off of one 30amp connections I run: A/C, Hot Water, Battery Charger. I have never been to a marina or public dock that my 30 amp cord needed an adapter.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Mine has A/C, stove, fridge, etc and uses two 30 amp cords...... one for a/c and 110v outlets and one for everything else.

Our last 30 ft. boat was the same way. No 50amp required, fortunately.