Question about towing a towable tube...

IowaCraig

Cadet
So I'm still pretty green to boating, and I just bought a tube to tow behind my Sea Ray 160 BR. Theres a ski eye back there, and I'm wondering if its ok to hook the tow line to it? Don't really plan on any 40 mph blasts across the lake with the tube back there. Just mostly 10-15 mph with one person on it. Good idea to use it or no?

Re: Question about towing a towable tube...

Best bet would be to get a bridle (here's an example of one ROPE HARNESS W/PULLEY & FLOAT - Hydroslide PT7 - iboats), hook that to both transom tie-down eyes, and hook the tow-rope to the pully. And yes, watch the speed when towing someone, the faster you go the harder the water gets (and the more apt someone is to get hurt when they wipe out).

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes the ski eye is the correct place unless you have a ski tower to connect it

IowaCraig

Cadet

I was just curious, I know that a tube tends to pull harder than a skier and really not interested in Bringing Out Another Thousand. :)

Skiers, tubes, whatever you can throw at it, you'll be fine using the tie down eyes. Those things aren't going anywhere (unless the transom has some major rot issues).

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

Skiers, tubes, whatever you can throw at it, you'll be fine using the tie down eyes. Those things aren't going anywhere (unless the transom has some major rot issues).

The tie down eyes can be pretty low on the transom. The rope attaches to the tube pretty low as well. When towing this way, the tow rope has a tendency to drag in the water and get caught in the wake. I find that a booster ball helps a lot to keep the rope out of the water which makes tubing more fun.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

The tow eye or the transom hooks should be fine. I would not tow a tube from a pylon or wakeboard tower. If/when the tube submarines, you can have problems with either steering or with damaging the pylon/tower.

I think the transom hooks, using a bridle and booster ball, if you must, are the way to go.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your boat has a ski pylon or ski post, do you use it for towing. And if you find a ski pylon at reasonable cost, buy it (for tubing). A ski pylon (like on my Bayliner) is higher off the water. Thus, lifting the front of the tube - to allow the tube to float across the water's top (instead of its front digging in and plowing the water). Move weight on the tube and/or faster speed, the more benefits of a ski tower, ski pylon or ski post. A ski pylon or post can be bought or made. re: http://www.go2marine.com/docs/2/4/2/8/242885F-p.jpg

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

We use the ski eye and it works fine. Just tie the rope to the front of the tube so that it pulls from the bottom lifting the front of the tube.